1980 (London, England)
1986 (Enoki Films USA)
|Defunct||2010 (Enoki Films USA)|
|Zen & Yoshi Enoki|
Enoki Films also had a North American division, established in 1986, headquartered in the Encino area of Los Angeles, California, United States called Enoki Films USA, Inc.. Enoki Films USA acted as a middle-man between Japanese companies and American licensees such as 4Kids Entertainment and Saban. In May 2007 it was announced that their content would also be provided as video on demand by Internet startup ReelTime.com (worldwide except Japan).
As of 2002 Enoki licenses anime but sub-licenses its licenses to various distributors instead of distributing them directly. Anime News Network wrote that "They generally only license TV shows that they hope to also license to TV broadcasters such as Cartoon Network, ABC Family and Fox Kids."
Some of the anime productions that were listed on Enoki's website are under alternate names and may list characters under different names as well. In many cases, when sub-licensed to anime home video companies, the original titles and character names have been restored. Enoki's translations of episode titles and scenarios may also be different than what may be on the official release.
If Enoki's series' had a separate movie or direct-to-video production, it is usually not licensed by Enoki, and the film or direct-to-video production may be licensed to a separate company than the series (as is the case with the Slayers movies and OVAs and the Utena movie).
As of 2016, Enoki Films' North American division is now defunct, since it bought its operations to an end in 2010.
In 1975 Zen and Yoshi Enoki established Enoki Films Co., Ltd. in Tokyo. In 1986 the California office opened; soon afterwards Yoshi Enoki opened the American division.
Anime licensed by Enoki Films USA
Some of the Enoki USA titles include:
- 8 Man After
- Bistro Recipe (Fighting Foodons; produced with 4Kids Entertainment)
- Captain Tsubasa (under the titles Flash Kicker and Captain Tsubasa)
- Cosmo Warrior Zero (under the title Cosmowarrior Zero)
- Demon Lord Dante
- El-Hazard: The Wanderer
- Genshi-kun (Flint the Time Detective; produced with Saban)
- (Gensomaden) Saiyuki
- Gun Frontier
- Gokudo (as Jester the Adventurer)
- His and Her Circumstances (as Tales at North Hills High; released under original name)
- Honey Honey no Suteki na Bouken (as simply Honey Honey)
- Ikki Tousen
- Lolo the Penguin (Scamper the Penguin)
- Lost Universe
- Majuu Sensen: The Apocalypse (as Beast Fighter: The Apocalypse)
- Revolutionary Girl Utena (as Ursula's Kiss; released under original name)
- Slayers (as The Slayers)
- Totsugeki! Pappara-tai
Young anime of Enoki Films
- Prince Mackaroo
- Hello Kitty's Paradise
- Petit Petit Anime
- The Galaxy Adventures Oz
- Flint the Time Detective
- Mock & Sweet
- Serendipity the Pink Dragon
- Serendipity Stories: Friends of Pure Island
Anime available through Enoki Films
Enoki also list many other anime series on their website that are available for sub-licensing to other companies for release on home video. As yet, the following titles remain unlicensed by any other company and thus unavailable in English:
- Firestorm (Gerry Anderson anime production)
- Forza! Hidemaru (as Forza! Mario)
- Galaxy Whirlwind Braiger (J-9 series one, as Cosmo Runner)
- Galaxy Gale Baxingar (J-9 series two, as Cosmo Ranger)
- Galaxy Hurricane Sasuraiger (J-9 series three, as Wonder Six)
- Giant Killing
- Mission Outer Space Srungle (as Gorilla Force; previously licensed by Saban as part of "Macron 1" along with GoShogun)
- Ruins Legend Acrobunch
- Submarine Super 99
- The Adventures of Scamper the Penguin
- "Company Profile."[dead link] Enoki Films USA. Retrieved on January 20, 2009.
- "Home." Enoki Films. Retrieved on March 23, 2014. "Enoki Bldg., No. 2, 1-30-10 Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160-0022 Japan"
- ReelTime Is Animated About Agreement With Enoki Films USA, Inc.[dead link] Press Release, May 22, 2007
- "bottom.gif."[dead link] Enoki Films USA. Retrieved on June 17, 2011. "16430 Ventura Blvd. Suite 308 Encino, CA 91436, USA"
- "Enoki Films updates Licenses." Anime News Network. August 14, 2002. Retrieved on March 26, 2014.