Enoshima Sea Candle
|Enoshima Sea Candle|
Enoshima Sea Candle as seen from the Samuel Cocking Garden.
|Alternative names||Shonan Observatory Lighthouse Enoshima Lighthouse Observation Tower|
|Address||2 Chome-3-３番地２８ Enoshima, Fujisawa-shi, Kanagawa-ken 251-0036|
|Completed||31st December 2002|
|Opened||29th April 2003|
|Owner||Enoshima Electric Railway|
|Observatory||59.8m (119.6m above sea level)|
|Design and construction|
|Main contractor||Shimizu Corporation|
The Enoshima Sea Candle (Japanese: 江の島シーキャンドル), also known as the Shonan Observatory Lighthouse, is an observation tower and lighthouse located in the Samuel Cocking Garden on the small tidal island of Enoshima in Fujisawa, Kanagawa, Japan. The tower has two observation decks, the primary indoor deck and a secondary outdoor deck. The primary deck can be accessed via a central lift or spiral staircase, while the outdoor deck can only be accessed by a second spiral staircase.
Completed in 2003, the Sea Candle was built to celebrate the 2002 centenary of the Enoshima Electric Railway. The original 1951 Enoshima lighthouse was demolished in order to allow for the Sea Candle to be constructed. On New Year's Eve 2002 a ceremony took place to transfer the lighthouse duty, and the observation decks opened to the general public on 29th April 2003.
In 2004, the lighthouse was awarded a Good Design Award under the category Architecture and Environment Design – Environment Design.
- "ENOSHIMA SEA CANDLE (LIGHTHOUSE OBSERVATION TOWER)". Enoshima Electric Railway. Retrieved 2018-05-06.
- Kawasaki, Satoko (2017-07-29). "Enoshima: An island in the spotlight". The Japan Times Online. ISSN 0447-5763. Retrieved 2018-05-06.
- "Enoshima Lighthouse Observation Tower "Enoshima Sea Candle" - Japan National Tourism Organization". Retrieved 2018-05-06.
- "Enoshima sea candle (fine-view lighthouse) Must-see-japan Fujisawa-shi (Japanese sightseeing promotion association) of the whole country". www.nihon-kankou.or.jp.e.wp.hp.transer.com. Retrieved 2018-05-06.
- "元は落下傘訓練塔だったという今はなき「旧江の島展望灯台」がスリリングすぎたって本当？". はまれぽ.com. Retrieved 2018-05-06.
- "ENOSHIMA LIGHTHOUSE". Good Design Award. Retrieved 2018-05-06.