Enrico Sandro Coen
29 September 1957
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge (PhD)|
|Thesis||The dynamics of multigene family evolution in Drosophila (1982)|
|Doctoral advisor||Gabriel Dover|
Research and career
By studying model systems from the genus Antirrhinum, commonly known as the snapdragon, Enrico has created computer simulations of how plant cells and their genes interact to direct flower formation and control colour. Enrico's research aims to define the developmental rules that govern flower and leaf growth at both the cellular level and throughout the whole plant, linking these different scales of analysis into an integrated understanding of evolution.
Enrico has written several books, including the recent Cells to Civilizations: The Principles of Change That Shape Life, in which he postulates the seven ‘ingredients’ that shape life: population variation, persistence, reinforcement, competition, co-operation, combinatorial richness and recurrence. He has collaborated with Przemysław Prusinkiewicz.
Awards and honours
Coen won the 2004 Darwin Medal, with Rosemary Carpenter and is a member of Faculty of 1000. In 2012 he became President of the Genetics Society, finishing his 3-year term in 2015. Coen was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) in 1998. He was appointed a CBE in 2003 for services to plant genetics.
- Anon (2015) "Coen, Prof. Enrico Sandro". Who's Who. ukwhoswho.com (online Oxford University Press ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. (subscription or UK public library membership required) doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.11364 (subscription required)
- Coen, Enrico S.; Thoday, John M.; Dover, Gabriel (1982). "Rate of turnover of structural variants in the rDNA gene family of Drosophila melanogaster". Nature. 295 (5850): 564–568. Bibcode:1982Natur.295..564C. doi:10.1038/295564a0. ISSN 0028-0836. PMID 6799840. S2CID 4347190.
- Brownlee, C. (2004). "Biography of Enrico Coen". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 101 (14): 4725–4727. Bibcode:2004PNAS..101.4725B. doi:10.1073/pnas.0401746101. ISSN 0027-8424. PMC 387315. PMID 15051867.
- "Professor Enrico Coen CBE FRS". London: Royal Society. Archived from the original on 25 September 2015. biographical text reproduced here was originally published by the Royal Society a creative commons licence
- Enrico Coen's publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database. (subscription required)
- Coen, Enrico; Cubas, Pilar; Vincent, Coral (1999). "An epigenetic mutation responsible for natural variation in floral symmetry". Nature. 401 (6749): 157–161. Bibcode:1999Natur.401..157C. doi:10.1038/43657. ISSN 0028-0836. PMID 10490023. S2CID 205033495.
- Coen, Enrico Sandro (1982). The dynamics of multigene family evolution in Drosophila. lib.cam.ac.uk (PhD thesis). University of Cambridge. OCLC 499809938. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.348792.
- Coen, Enrico S.; Meyerowitz, Elliot M. (1991). "The war of the whorls: genetic interactions controlling flower development". Nature. 353 (6339): 31–37. Bibcode:1991Natur.353...31C. doi:10.1038/353031a0. ISSN 0028-0836. PMID 1715520. S2CID 4276098.
- Cells to Civilizations: The Principles of Change That Shape Life, Princeton University Press, ISBN 978-0-691-14967-7 http://press.princeton.edu/titles/9659.html
- "Professor Enrico Coen". 23 November 2018.
- "Coen and Bangham - Lab Members - Flower Development, e Coen , Cell & Developmental Biology Department - JIC UK".
- Defining features: scientific and medical portraits, 1660–2000
- "Enrico Coen | F1000 Faculty Member | F1000Prime".
- The art of genes: how organisms make themselves. Oxford University Press. 2000. ISBN 978-0-19-286208-2.
- Life's Creative Recipe, Princeton University Press
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 21 November 2011. Retrieved 5 December 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)