|Born||Enrico Sandro Coen
29 September 1957 
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge (PhD)|
|Thesis||The dynamics of multigene family evolution in Drosophila (1982)|
|Doctoral advisor||Gabriel Dover|
Enrico Sandro Coen CBE FRS (born 29 September 1957) is a biologist who studies the mechanisms used by plants to create complex and varied flower structures. Enrico combines molecular, genetic and imaging studies with population and ecological models and computational analysis to understand flower development.
By studying model systems from the genus Antirrhinum, commonly known as the snapdragon, Enrico has created computer simulations of how plant cells and their genes interact to direct flower formation and control colour. Enrico’s research aims to define the developmental rules that govern flower and leaf growth at both the cellular level and throughout the whole plant, linking these different scales of analysis into an integrated understanding of evolution.
Enrico has written several books, including the recent Cells to Civilizations: The Principles of Change That Shape Life, in which he postulates the seven ‘ingredients’ that shape life: population variation, persistence, reinforcement, competition, cooperation, combinatorial richness and recurrence. He has collaborated with Przemysław Prusinkiewicz.
Awards and honours
Coen won the 2004 Darwin Medal, with Rosemary Carpenter and is a member of Faculty of 1000. In 2012 he became President of the Genetics Society, and is scheduled to retain that post until 2015. Coen was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) in 1998. He was appointed a CBE in 2003 for services to plant genetics.
- COEN, Prof. Enrico Sandro. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2015 (online Oxford University Press ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. (subscription required)
- Coen, Enrico S.; Thoday, John M.; Dover, Gabriel (1982). "Rate of turnover of structural variants in the rDNA gene family of Drosophila melanogaster". Nature. 295 (5850): 564–568. doi:10.1038/295564a0. ISSN 0028-0836.
- Brownlee, C. (2004). "Biography of Enrico Coen". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 101 (14): 4725–4727. doi:10.1073/pnas.0401746101. ISSN 0027-8424. PMC . PMID 15051867.
- "Professor Enrico Coen CBE FRS". London: Royal Society. Archived from the original on 2015-09-25. biographical text reproduced here was originally published by the Royal Society a creative commons licence
- Enrico Coen's publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database, a service provided by Elsevier. (subscription required)
- Coen, Enrico; Cubas, Pilar; Vincent, Coral (1999). "An epigenetic mutation responsible for natural variation in floral symmetry". Nature. 401 (6749): 157–161. doi:10.1038/43657. ISSN 0028-0836. PMID 10490023.
- Coen, Enrico Sandro (1982). The dynamics of multigene family evolution in Drosophila (PhD thesis). University of Cambridge. OCLC 499809938.
- Coen, Enrico S.; Meyerowitz, Elliot M. (1991). "The war of the whorls: genetic interactions controlling flower development". Nature. 353 (6339): 31–37. doi:10.1038/353031a0. ISSN 0028-0836. PMID 1715520.
- Cells to Civilizations: The Principles of Change That Shape Life, Princeton University Press, ISBN 978-0-691-14967-7 http://press.princeton.edu/titles/9659.html
- Defining features: scientific and medical portraits, 1660-2000
- The art of genes: how organisms make themselves. Oxford University Press. 2000. ISBN 978-0-19-286208-2.
- Life's Creative Recipe, Princeton University Press