Enrique Ponce in the Melilla Bullring, 2009
He made his first public appearance on 10 August 1986 in the Plaza De Toros in Baeza (Jaén). Some of his early debut appearances were on 9 March 1988, in Castellon with Curro Trillo and Jose Luis Torres when he was a Novillero. He began in the Escuela Taurina de Valencia, until he went into the public in 1986 in Baeza.
He performed for 10 years and over 100 corridas. Ponce is the first torero in history to fight more than 2000 corridas. He passed this mark in Ronda on 4 September 2010.
March 2014 goring
Whilst opening the Las Fallas festival in Valencia on 18 March 2014, by bullfighting a bull from the Victorinao del Río farm, he suffered a severe goring which broke his collarbone and several ribs. He was carried off the field by his assistant bullfighter Mariano de la Viña.
- His debut without picadors in Baeza, Jaén province Spain.10 October 1986.
- His debut with picadors in Castellón de la Plana, Spain. 9 March 1988.
- Valencia, 1990 with Joselito and El Litri.
- http://www.portaltaurino.com/matadores/enrique_ponce.htm (Spanish)
- http://www.hola.com/biografias/enrique-ponce/ (Spanish)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Enrique Ponce.|