Entertainment Network India Limited
Entertainment Network India Limited (ENIL) BSE: 532700 is a subsidiary of Times Infotainment Media Limited (TIML), the holding company promoted by Bennett, Coleman & Company Limited (BCCL)- the flagship company of the Times of India Group, was incorporated in 1999.
TIML is promoted by Bennett, Coleman & Company Limited (BCCL), better known as the Times of India Group. BCCL was incorporated in 1999. ENIL is the only listed company in the otherwise privately held Times of India Group. It is listed on Bombay Stock Exchange of India Limited and the National Stock Exchange of India Limited.
- 1 History
- 2 Brand Mirchi and "Its Hot!" the tag line
- 3 Awards and recognition
- 4 Business segment
- 5 Financials
- 6 Social initiatives- Mirchi Cares
- 7 Digital innovations
- 8 Highlights of advertising business of FM radio
- 9 References
- 10 External links
The company was formed in June 1999 post the first phase of licensing. The Information Broadcasting Ministry offered 108 frequency across 40 cities and ENIL got the maximum of them.It started its operations with the launch of its services in Indore on 4 October 2001. The company simultaneously started operations in seven more cities. In the second phase the company got 25 more frequencies. That took the count of total number of stations to 32.
Brand Mirchi and "Its Hot!" the tag line
The tag line of the brand is "Its Hot!" Mirchi is a Hindi word for chilly. While all other radio brands were in English, ENIL came up with a Hindi brand name. The brand name Mirchi was coined by Mr. Vineet Jain (Chairman, Times Group). The brand name has a very high recall and connects well with listeners. The tag line "its Hot!" convey that the brand is young, exciting and is also sexually suggestive.
- FICCI - Frames Excellence Award 2010 for the Most Successful Radio Channel of the Year
- 8 awards at the 5th India Radio Forum
- Most Popular Radio Channel amongst Youth at the 2nd Global Youth Marketing Forum
- CMO Council Brand Leadership Award
ENIL cater to Radio Broadcasting Segment, Out of Home and Experiential Marketing Segment
Radio broadcasting segment
This segment operates with the brand name of 'Radio Mirchi'. Before Radio Mirchi, the Times of India Group provided private FM service along with Government of India(GOI) under the brand name of Times FM.GOI did not renew the contract with private player post that.They operated in Delhi, Calcutta, Chennai and Goa from 1993-1998. It has been consistently rated as the No. 1 FM radio channel. It has a large pan India presence with 32 stations across 14 states.This extensive coverage increases loyalty of listens and provides a national media platform for advertisers.The channel reaches to more than 41 Million listeners(as per IRS Q4, 2010, last week recall) across stations.
Experiential marketing segment
Experiential marketing segment brings the brands closer to the consumer through brand activation and events.This is carried under the brand name 360 Degree. Alternative Brand Solution (India) Limited(ABSL) is the organisation which looks after this segment.ABSL is a subsidiary of ENIL. They have organised many popular event properties. One of them being Spell Bee - India Spells. This year was the third edition of the event, and they engaged with more than three lakh across 25 cities.
Out of Home
This is the outdoor solution segment. It provides solutions like Digital Screens, Large Formats, Street Furniture etc. They are the first organised player in an industry where there are large unorganized players. They won a 20-year advertising contract with New Delhi Airport, Terminal 3.
|Details(Rs. in Lakhs)||FY '08-'09||FY '09-'10||FY '10-'11|
Social initiatives- Mirchi Cares
- ENIL partnered with Goonj in 2009, an NGO of New Delhi involved in collecting unused articles of Indian homes and sharing the same with the needy. In the show Purani Jeans, the RJ Syema mobalised entire Delhi to contribute their old jeans for the needy. A total of 1700 jeans were collected and donated to Goonj.
- ENIL's initiative called Mirchi Cares helps visually challenged children enjoy Audio Books, Audio Movies or they conduct sessions on Story Telling for them. For this initiatives some of the popular RJ's get involved.
- ENIL with tie up with Bharti Airtel ltd have launched Mirchi Mobile. Under this service Airtel customers could tune into their favorite Radio Mirchi channels of different cities. This service allowed customers to tune into 12 stations of Radio Mirchi. This service was later extended to Reliance and BSNL customers also.
- Radio Mirchi can also be heard online. Listeners can hear their favorite Sparkers like Sud or Mirchi Murga through its online version.
Highlights of advertising business of FM radio
- Top three categories to advertise on FM Radio - Real Estate, Cellular Service Providers, TV Channel Promotion
- 40% of business comes from local advertisers
- FM Radio business is expected to grow at 20% CAGR by 2015