Environmental Protection Administration
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (November 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Formed||March 1971 (as Department of Environmental Health)
22 August 1987 (as EPA)
|Employees||15,034 (est. 2004)|
The Environmental Protection Administration of the Republic of China (EPA) is a cabinet-level executive agency responsible for protecting and conserving the environment in Taiwan (ROC). This also includes, air quality, noise control, monitoring and inspection of environment, solid waste, recycling, sustainable development and international cooperation.
It is led by the Minister for Environment. He is supported by two deputy ministers.
The environmental protection agency has evolved and been part of different departments over decades. Prior to 1971, the environmental portfolio was part of the Ministry of the Interior (Taiwan) which encompasses the Health portfolio.
From March 1971 to January 28, 1982 the Department of Environmental Health was established to look after protecting the environment. Various agencies such as the Department of Health and others managed the soil and water aspects of environment.
From January 29, 1982 to August 21, 1987 the Environmental Protection Bureau was established to take over responsibility for noise and traffic control, air, water, waste management, health responsibilities under the Department of Health.
From August 22, 1987 to the present, the Environmental Protection Administration was established becoming the one stop shop for all environmental policies, regulation, standards and enforcement. It encompassed toxic substance management, environmental sanitation and monitoring and inspection of the environment.
- Office of Chief Secretary
- Office of Minister
- Office of Sustainable Development
- Greenhouse Gases Reduction Management Office
- Office of Energy and Resource Program
- Office of National Clear up Program
- Department of Comprehensive Planning
- Department of Air Quality Protection and Noise Control
- Department of Water Quality Protection
- Department of Waste Management
- Department of Environmental Sanitation & Toxis Substance Management
- Department of Supervision Evaluation & Dispute Resolution
- Department of Environmental Monitoring and Information Management
- Bureau of Environmental Inspection
- Air Pollution Control Fund Management Board
- Recycling Fund Management Board
- Soil and Groundwater Remediation Fund Management Board
- Environmental Analysis Laboratory
- Environmental Professionals Training Institute
- Offices of Personnel, Accounting, Civil Service Ethics, Statistics and Secretariat
- Committees for Legal Affairs, Petitions and Appeals
- Public Nuisance Arbitration
- Environmental Police Unit
- Local Environmental Agencies
- Environmental issues in Taiwan
- Executive Yuan
- Demographics of Taiwan
- History of Taiwan
- Economy of Taiwan
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Environmental Protection Administration, Executive Yuan.|