Environmental issues in Azerbaijan
|This article does not cite any sources. (May 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
This page refers to the environmental issues in Azerbaijan.
Like most republics of the Soviet Union who experienced rapid development of all spheres of economics and human activity which has led to an increasingly negative impact on the environment, including the inefficient usage of natural resources. As can be seen in many other countries, Azerbaijan is interested in finding solutions to the problems regarding environmental protection and rational utilization of natural resources. In support of Azerbaijan's environmental protection goals, a number of important laws, legal documents and state programs, all of which conform to European law requirements, have been developed and approved in order to improve the ecological situation in the country.
These measures have been undertaken within the framework of the corresponding state programs to solve the urgent ecological problems at the very foundation of development principles.
The internal resources of the Azerbaijan are, however, insufficient in order to resolve many of their environmental problems that have been in dire need for some time now.
The following are the principal ecological problems of Azerbaijan:
- The pollution of water resources by way of introduction of contaminated water, including transnational pollution
- The supply of low-quality water to inhabited regions, the loss of fresh water prior to it delivery to the end consumers, insufficient development of sewer systems
- Air pollution from industrial plants and transport vehicles
- Degradation of soil (erosion, desertification, etc.)
- Improper regulation of industry and housing, as well as hazardous solid wastes
- Decline in biological diversity
- Decline in forest reserves and fauna, especially fish results
|This environment-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Azerbaijan-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|