|Vincenzo "Enzo" Apicella|
26 June 1922 |
|Known for||Artist, cartoonist, designer, restaurateur|
Vincenzo "Enzo" Apicella, FCSD (born 26 June 1922) is a London-based artist, cartoonist, designer, and restaurateur.
Life and work
Enzo Apicella was born in Naples, Italy on 26 June 1922. Having served in the Italian Air Force during World War II, he went on to study at film school in Rome. Soon after, he became a freelance designer working in illustration and print journalism before co-founding Melodramma, an opera magazine, in Venice in 1953.
When the magazine ceased publication, he came to England in 1954 and began designing posters and sets for television, as well as producing cartoon films. A self-taught cartoonist, his cartoons have been published in The Observer, The Guardian, Punch, The Economist, Private Eye, and Harpers & Queen, "Liberazione".
In 1974 Apicella worked with artists John & Rosalind on the LP album A Night at Factotum. He produced the sleeve design and caricatures. He is not only a restaurant designer and former restaurateur, but is acclaimed as one of the protagonists of the Sixties – an enigmatic maverick, described[where?] by Vogue's Bevis Hillier as "One of the creators of the Swinging Sixties" who profoundly influenced the face of London's restaurant scene. Known for going that much further[vague] than any of his contemporaries, Apicella understood that the pop uprising demanded more eating out than in.
- "A Night at Factotum". Discogs. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- Bailey, David; Evans, Peter (1969). Goodbye baby and amen: A saraband for the sixties. London: Conde Nast Publications. ISBN 0900303069.
- MacCarthy, Fiona. "The line of beauty". The Guardian. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- Mitchell, Jamie. "Enzo Apicella". Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- Fort, Matthew. "Business Time to get back to Boizot's basics". The Guardian.
- "Alvaro Maccioni Obituary". Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- "Mario Cassandro Obituary". Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- Bryant, Mark; Heneage, Simon (1994). Dictionary of British cartoonists and caricaturists 1730–1980. Aldershot: Scolar Press. ISBN 0859679764.
- Official website
- Enzo Apicella. Artista, uomo libero, cosmopolita nel cuore
- Goodbye Baby and Amen: A saraband for the sixties
- The Spaghetti Tree: Mario and Franco and the Trattoria Revolution
- Restaurant designer, Enzo Apicella talks about his influence on the design of Italian restaurants in London
- 1967 Non Parlare Baciami
- 1976 The Pizza Express Cookbook ISBN 0241891965
- 1978 The Recipes That Made a Million ISBN 0-85613-489-9
- 1983 Memorie di Uno Smemorato
- 1985 Jonathan Routh's Initial good loo guide: Where to 'go' in London. London: Banyan, 1987. ISBN 0-7119-1282-3. Text by Jonathan Routh.
- 1987 The Harpers & Queen Guide to London's 100 Best Restaurants ISBN 1-85203-018-6
- 1988 Don't Talk, Kiss ISBN 0-9506402-3-9
- 1993 Mouthfool: A Collection of Culinary Cartoons ISBN 0-948817-87-9
- 2003 Apicella Versus the United States of America ISBN 88-8112-430-0
- 2007 God Bless America ISBN 978-88-87826-45-6