Eoin Ó Broin
|Eoin Ó Broin|
Ó Broin in 2012
Dublin City, Ireland
|Social Science, Politics|
Eoin Ó Broin (born 1972) is a political theorist, writer and Sinn Féin councillor.
Ó Broin is from Cabinteely in Dún Laoghaire, and was educated in Blackrock College in Dublin. He holds a degree in Cultural Studies from the University of East London and an MA in Irish Politics from Queens University Belfast. Ó Broin was elected to Belfast City Council in 2001, stepping down in 2004. He was the National Organiser of Ógra Shinn Féin between 1995 and 1997. He was Sinn Féin's Director of European Affairs co-ordinating his party's team in the European Parliament in Brussels, from 2004 to 2007. He is a former member of Sinn Féin's governing body and a regular columnist with the republican newspaper An Phoblacht.
He is also a published writer. His first book, Matxinada - Basque Nationalism and Radical Basque Youth Movements was published in English in 2004 and in Spanish in 2005. His second book, Sinn Féin and the Politics of Left Republicanism was published by Pluto Press in 2009 and the launch was held in Pearse Street Public Library on 16 February 2009. Ó Broin is also the editor of Left Republican Review. As a freelance writer he has articles published in An Phoblacht, Magill, Village Magazine and The Irish Times.
He was an unsuccessful Sinn Féin candidate for the Dún Laoghaire constituency in the 2007 general election in the Republic of Ireland. He ran for the Dublin Mid-West at the 2011 general election. He polled 5,060 votes being beaten to the last seat in the constituency by Derek Keating of Fine Gael. He subsequently declared his intention to run for the Irish Senate, and was defeated in his election campaign. In 2013 Eoin was co-opted by Sinn Féin onto South Dublin County Council to represent Clondalkin after sitting councillor Matthew McDonagh resigned his seat.
He has said that Sinn Féin is neither Europhile nor Eurosceptic. “The way we look at is: Sinn Féin is Eurocritical”.
- "Belfast City Council, 1993 - 2011". ark.ac.uk.
- "Irish News". irishnews.com.
- "News - An Phoblacht". anphoblacht.com.
- http://www.anphoblacht.com/contents/22613 In defence of populism – Eoin Ó Broin answers 'Sunday Business Post', An Phoblacht, 3 January 2013
- Treaty of Lisbon changes to the EU institutions - Good or bad for small Member States? National Forum on Europe website
- "Sinn Féin and the politics of Left Republicanism, Eoin Ó Broin, Book Launch February 16th". The Cedar Lounge Revolution.
- SF must ask why it failed to 'close deal' with voters by Eoin Ó Broin, The Irish Times, 16 June 2009.
- "ElectionsIreland.org: 30th Dail - Dun Laoghaire First Preference Votes". electionsireland.org.
- "Eoin Ó Broin co-opted onto South Dublin County Council". sinnfein.ie.
- Lord, Miriam (22 May 2014). "The Sinn Féin candidate who is making a name for herself". The Irish Times. Retrieved 22 May 2014.