||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2010)|
Colfer at Great St Mary's, Cambridge in 2008
14 May 1965 |
|Genre||Children's fantasy, science fiction and adventure novels|
|Notable works||Artemis Fowl series|
Eoin Colfer (//; born 14 May 1965) is an Irish author of children's books. He worked as a primary school teacher before he became a full-time writer. He is best known for being the author of the Artemis Fowl series. In September 2008, Colfer was commissioned to write the sixth installment of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, entitled And Another Thing ..., which was published in October 2009.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Works
- 2.1 Benny Shaw
- 2.2 O'Brien Flyers
- 2.3 Artemis Fowl
- 2.4 The Supernaturalist
- 2.5 Eoin Colfer's Legends
- 2.6 W.A.R.P. (Witness Anonymous Relocation Program)
- 2.7 Half Moon Investigations
- 2.8 The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- 2.9 Daniel McEvoy
- 2.10 Standalone novels
- 2.11 Children's Books
- 2.12 Graphic Novels
- 2.13 Films
- 3 See also
- 4 References
- 5 External links
Eoin Colfer was born in Wexford, Ireland. He attained worldwide recognition in 2001, when the first Artemis Fowl book was published and became a New York Times Best Seller, as did some sequels. Among his other popular works are Half Moon Investigations, The Wish List, The Supernaturalist, and a series of Eoin Colfer's Legends. In January 2008, Colfer published a book titled Airman, another best-seller. To date more than half of his books have reached the New York Times list at least once.
- 1. Benny and Omar (1998)
- 2. Benny and Babe (1999)
Colfer contributed three volumes to this series of books by several writers, for very young readers.
- 1. Going Potty (1999)
- 4. Ed's Funny Feet (2000)
- 7. Ed's Bed (2001)
- 1. Artemis Fowl (2001)
- 2. Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident (2002)
- 3. Artemis Fowl: The Eternity Code (2003)
- 4. Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception (2004)
- 5. Artemis Fowl: The Lost Colony (2006)
- 6. Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox (2008)
- 7. Artemis Fowl: The Atlantis Complex (2010)
- 8. Artemis Fowl: The Last Guardian (10 July 2012)
- Companion books
- LEPrecon (short story; 2004)
- Artemis Fowl: The Seventh Dwarf (short story; 2004)
- The Artemis Fowl Files (companion book; 2004)
- Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel (2007)
- Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident The Graphic Novel (2009)
- Artemis Fowl: The Eternity Code The Graphic Novel (9 July 2013)
- Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception Graphic Novel (15 July 2014)
Graphic novels are planned for all books in the series.
- 1. The Supernaturalist (2 May 2004)
- Companion books
- The Supernaturalist: The Graphic Novel (10 July 2012)
Eoin Colfer's Legends
- Legend of Spud Murphy (2005)
- Legend of Captain Crow’s Teeth (2006)
- Legend of the Worst Boy in the World (2008)
W.A.R.P. (Witness Anonymous Relocation Program)
- 1. W.A.R.P. The Reluctant Assassin (11 April 2013)
- 2. W.A.R.P. The Hangman's Revolution (24 June 2014)
- 3. W.A.R.P. The Forever Man (expected 23 June 2015)
Half Moon Investigations
- 1. Half Moon Investigations (27 March 2006)
- 2. Half Moon Investigations 2 (expected)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The first five novels in the Hitchhiker's "trilogy" were written by Douglas Adams. Adams' widow, Jane Belson, and the literary agency that manages Adams' estate asked Colfer to write another book, as Adams had intended to add to the series, agreeing that the end to the fifth book was "very bleak". Already a fan of the series, Colfer called the opportunity "like suddenly being offered the superpower of your choice ... For years I have been finishing this incredible story in my head and now I have the opportunity to do it in the real world ... It is a gift from the gods. So, thank you Thor and Odin."
- 6. And Another Thing... (2009)
In 2014, it was announced that Eoin Colfer was working on a picture book for children in collaboration with Oliver Jeffers called 'Imaginary Fred'.
In April 2014 principal photography began on a new Irish feature film Poison Pen, the first screenplay from Colfer. The film, a romantic comedy, was filmed on location in Ireland over the next three weeks by the participants on the Filmbase/Staffordshire University MSc in Digital Feature Film Production. The film premiered at the 26th Galway Film Fleadh on 11 July 2014.
The film is an eco friendly production. John Gormley, the former Green Party Minister, has been appointed as a Green Production Manager for the production, with a view to minimising the carbon footprint and environmental impact of the film.
- "New Hitchhiker's author announced". Entertainment/Arts (BBC News). 16 September 2008. Retrieved 17 September 2008.
- Griffiths, Peter (17 September 2008). "Hitchhiker's Guide series to ride again". Thomson Reuters. Retrieved 17 September 2008.
- Pauli, Michelle (29 March 2011). "Eoin Colfer and Artemis Fowl: a beginning and an end". The Guardian. Retrieved 7 April 2011.
- AF, Site (11 April 2013). "AF Site". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- Flood, Alison (17 September 2008). "Eoin Colfer to write sixth Hitchhiker's Guide book". The Guardian. UK. Retrieved 19 March 2011.
- "'Imaginary Fred' cover revealed". Artemis Fowl Confidential. 19 March 2015. Retrieved 20 March 2015.
- "2015 Eoin Colfer Interview with Artemis Fowl Confidential". Artemis Fowl Confidential. 9 May 2015. Retrieved 20 March 2015.
- Murphy, Niall (7 April 2014). "Irish Film: Production begins on the Eoin Colfer scripted Poison Pen". Scannain.
- "26th Galway Film Fleadh Programme". Retrieved 30 July 2014.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Eoin Colfer|
- Official website
- Eoin Colfer at British Council: Literature
- Artemis Fowl Confidential, fan site with some biographical and bibliographical data
- Interview of Colfer and Review of Plugged by Ayo Onatade in SHOTS Crime & Thriller Ezine (June? 2011)
- Eoin Colfer at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database