26 September 1945 |
|Alma mater||Makerere University
(Bachelor of Arts in Economics)
University of Rochester
(Master of Science in Systems Analysis)
University of Massachusetts
(Master of Arts in Management & Business Administration)
|Occupation||Management Scientist & Politician|
|Years active||1988 — present|
|Title||Minister of Water & Environment|
Ephraim Kamuntu is a Ugandan management scientist and politician. He is the current Minister of Water and Environment in the Ugandan Cabinet. He was appointed to that position on 15 August 2012. He is also an Ex-Officio of the Ugandan Parliament, on account of his Cabinet position.
Background and education
He was born in Sheema District on 26 September 1945. Kamuntu attended Ntare School for both his O-Level (1962 - 1965) and his A-Level (1966 - 1967) education. He studied at Makerere University, Uganda's oldest university, graduating in 1971 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts in Economics, Political Science and History. Later, in 1973, he obtained the degree of Master of Science in Systems Analysis, from the University of Rochester, in New York State. He also holds a Master of Arts in Management Science & Business Administration, from the University of Massachusetts.
He was a lecturer in Makerere University's Faculty of Commerce before it was shifted to the current Makerere University Business School in Nakawa. From 1992 until 1995, Ephraim Kamuntu served as the Chairman and Managing Director of Nile Bank Limited, a private commercial bank in Uganda, that was purchased and taken over by Barclays Bank, in 2007. Between 1995 and 1997, he worked as a private Consultant. From 1997 until 2001, he served as the National Coordinator, for the Private Sector Development Program of the Ugandan Government. He entered politics in 2001, contesting for the parliamentary seat of Sheema County South, Bushenyi District. He was elected and was re-elected in 2006.
On 1 June 2006, he was appointed Minister of State for Industry. On 16 February 2009, he was reassigned as State Minister of Finance for Planning. In the cabinet reshuffle of 27 May 2011, he was promoted to full cabinet minister and put in charge of the Ministry of Tourism, Wildlife and Heritage, serving in that position until he assigned his current portfolio on 15 August 2012. 
Ephraim Kamuntu is married. He belongs to the National Resistance Movement political party. His special interests include: political good governance, sound & effective economic management, farming, listening to music and watching sports events.
- Newvision Team, . (15 August 2012). "President Yoweri Museveni Reshuffles Cabinet". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- POU, . (2012). "Profile of Professor Ephraim Kamuntu, Ex-Officio Member of Parliament". Parliament of Uganda (POU). Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- Mukasa, Henry (2 June 2006). "Cabinet Ministries Allocated". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- Newvision Archive, . (18 February 2009). "Full Cabinet List As At 18 February 2009". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- Uganda State House, . (27 May 2011). "Comprehensive List of New Cabinet Appointments & Dropped Ministers". Facebook.com. Retrieved 3 March 2015.