|No. 74, 76|
|Date of birth:||June 19, 1976|
|Place of birth:||Chicago, Illinois|
|Height:||6 ft 7 in (2.01 m)|
|Weight:||310 lb (141 kg)|
|College:||San Diego State|
|NFL draft:||1998 / Round: 7 / Pick: 199|
|Career highlights and awards|
Career NFL statistics as of 2009
|Stats at NFL.com|
Ephraim Mateen Salaam (born June 19, 1976, Chicago, Illinois) is a former American football offensive tackle. He was drafted by the Atlanta Falcons in the seventh round (199th overall) of the 1998 NFL Draft. He played college football at San Diego State.
Salaam became a three-year starter as both a right and left tackle at San Diego State University, where he played in 31 career games. He also played on the basketball team.
Salaam was selected by the Atlanta Falcons in the 7th round (199th overall) of the 1998 NFL Draft. The Falcons went 14-2 during Salaam's rookie season, and won the NFC Championship to earn their first ever trip to the Super Bowl. Salaam started at right tackle in the Falcons' defeat to the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XXXIII.
Salaam was given the nickname The Human Turnstile while a member of the Jaguars.
Salaam appeared in an ad with Texans teammate Chester Pitts during Super Bowl XLII. In the commercial, he narrates a story regarding him and Pitts while he attended San Diego State University. When at a local grocery store, Salaam said he saw Pitts bagging groceries, was impressed by his size, and convinced him to try out as a walk-on for the San Diego State Aztecs football team. The commercial goes on to show that Pitts was a second-round pick while Salaam was a seventh-round pick.
On February 10, 2013, Salaam was interviewed by United States Secretary of State Hillary Clinton at the United States Department of State. The event was put on to honor a multitude of Muslim athletes.
Salaam has served as a producer on two separate TV shows, Dead Tone (2007) and Supremacy (2012).
In 2013, Salaam participated in the 23rd season of The Amazing Race with former teammate Chester Pitts. After encountering several travel delays on their way from Santiago to Lisbon, they finished in 9th Place out of 11 teams and were the third team eliminated from the race upon arrival when Phil arrived at Lisbon Airport, as all of the other teams in the race had already finished all of the tasks and then checked in at the Pit Stop before they even made it to Portugal. Moreover, they become the first team ever in The Amazing Race history to be eliminated at the airport.
- "FOX SPORTS' EPHRAIM SALAAM INVITED TO LEGENDS TRAINING CAMP". NBA.com. October 31, 2013. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- "Chester Pitts’ and Ephraim Salaam’s Super Bowl ad | Chester's Living NFL Dream | a Chron.com blog". Blog.chron.com. 2008-10-29. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- "Ephraim Salaam Represents Muslim Atheletes At U.S. State Department | Muslim Journal Online". Muslimjournal.net. 2012-02-10. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- "The Trenches, 1/24/13 - ESPN". Espn.go.com. 2013-01-24. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- Cohen, Rachel (2013-08-16). "Fox Sports 1 debuts with trucks race, UFC". Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved 2013-08-16.
- "Exclusive Set Visit: Deon Taylor's Dark Christmas / Updates on Chain Letter and Dead Tone". Dread Central. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- "Ephraim Salaam". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2013-11-01.