Epiphany (Chrisette Michele song)
|Single by Chrisette Michele|
|from the album Epiphany|
|Released||January 27, 2009|
|Songwriter(s)||Shaffer Smith, Chuck Harmony|
|Chrisette Michele singles chronology|
"Epiphany" is the first single from American singer-songwriter Chrisette Michele's second studio album of the same name, released for airplay on January 27, 2009. It was a R&B top 20 hit and became her most successful single to date. It also marks her first solo entry on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, where it peaked at #89.
"Epiphany" is about relationship experiences. "I heard the song that Ne-Yo had written titled "Epiphany", and the word just stood out to me," Michele tells Billboard.com. "It stood out to me because I'd been through a lot in my last relationship, and the word 'epiphany' exemplified exactly what happened in the end when I realized I didn't have to put myself through it anymore." Michele refers to the relationship with her former manager, Douglas "Biggs" Ellison, who Michele sued for embezzlement and harassment last year. Charges that were later dropped.
Michael Menachem of Billboard magazine says "Epiphany (I'm Leaving)" signals a more hip, funky approach for the Long Island native, melding Michele's fresh jazz tone with a trippy bassline and girl group backup vocals." The Koalition comments on how "Michele breezes through the pastoral-influenced production, crooning “I’m leaving” to a cheating lover that she feels has deprived her living her life." Mark Edward Nero of About.com comments that the mid-tempo song is Michele's declaration of independence.
The video features Chrisette singing in her apartment with clips of her and her boyfriend, played by Canadian rapper Drake, shown in between. During the bridge, Chrisette performs on top of the apartment building at daybreak, followed by scenes of her packing her boyfriend's things and throwing them out during the final chorus. Drake had a small role in the video.
Maiya Norton of Vibe comments on the video by saying that "she exudes a little bit of diva as her bold new look complements her new attitude. With a chopped haircut and smoldering eyes, she kicks rapper Drake to the curb proclaiming, 'I think I'm just about over being your girlfriend. I'm leaving.' And she's downright convincing as she tosses his clothes into the dumpster. It's as though personal experience has caused a light bulb to flicker in her mind, and that wisdom echoes throughout Epiphany."
BET placed the video at #46 on its Notarized: Top 100 Videos of 2009 countdown.
|US Billboard Hot 100||89|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs||14|
|US Hot Dance Club Play||40|
|United States||January 27, 2009 (Airplay)
February 24, 2009 (Digital download)
|Def Jam||Airplay, Digital download|
- Mariel Concepcion. "Billboard Chrisette Michele Has An 'Epiphany' On second album". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2009-02-28.
- "Payne, Chrisette Michelle vs Ellison, Douglas" (PDF). Decisions.courts.state.ny.us. Retrieved 2013-10-20.
-  Archived April 12, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- "Chrisette Michele: Epiphany (Album Review)". The Koalition. 2009-05-02. Retrieved 2013-10-20.
- "New Music: Chrisette Michele - "Epiphany"". Randb.about.com. 2009-04-13. Retrieved 2013-10-20.
-  Archived May 7, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- "Chrisette Michele - Chart history". Billboard. Retrieved 2013-10-20.
- "Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs : Feb 28, 2009 | Billboard Chart Archive". Billboard.com. 2009-02-28. Retrieved 2013-10-20.
- "Dance Club Songs : Jun 27, 2009 | Billboard Chart Archive". Billboard.com. 2009-06-27. Retrieved 2013-10-20.