Episcopal Diocese of Milwaukee
|Diocese of Milwaukee|
|Ecclesiastical province||Province V|
|Cathedral||Cathedral Church of All Saints|
|Bishop||The Rt. Rev. Steven Andrew Miller|
Location of the Diocese of Milwaukee
Episcopal Diocese of Milwaukee, originally the Diocese of Wisconsin is the diocese of the Episcopal Church in the United States of America located in the southern area of Wisconsin. It is in Province V (for the Midwest region). The Rt. Reverend Steven Miller is the bishop.
The diocese was formed after Jackson Kemper was named the Episcopal Church's first missionary bishop and oversaw the church's mission to the Northwest Territories from 1835 to 1859. He became provisional bishop of Wisconsin from 1847 to 1854 and first bishop of the Diocese of Wisconsin from 1854 to 1870.
In 1875 the Diocese of Fond du Lac was created to serve the northeastern 26 counties of the state. The Diocese of Eau Claire, was carved out of the diocese in 1928 for the counties in the northwestern part of Wisconsin. The Diocese of Wisconsin became the Diocese of Milwaukee in 1886.
Over the last few years the membership has declined from 15,000 to 11,000.
- Jackson Kemper
- William Edmond Armitage
- Edward Randolph Welles
- Cyrus Frederick Knight
- Isaac Lea Nicholson
- William Walter Webb
- Benjamin Franklin Price Ivins
- Donald Hathaway Valentine Hallock (1953-1973)
- Charles Thomas Gaskell (1974-1985)
- Roger J. White (1985-2003)
- Steven Andrew Miller (2003 to present)
Nashotah House, in Nashotah, which is a seminary for the Episcopal Church, and St. John's Northwestern Military Academy in Delafield, Wisconsin, a private Episcopal military academy, are also located in the Diocese of Milwaukee.
Parishes in the diocese
- St. James Episcopal Church, Milwaukee is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- St. Matthew's Episcopal Church, Kenosha is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Milwaukee is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- The Episcopal Diocese of Milwaukee
- Journal of the Annual Council of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Wisconsin
- Journal of the Annual Council of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Milwaukee
|This article about an Anglican diocese is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|