Episcopal Diocese of Nevada
Diocese of Nevada
|Ecclesiastical province||Province VIII|
|Cathedral||Trinity Episcopal Cathedral|
|Bishop||The Rt. Rev. Dan Thomas Edwards|
Location of the Diocese of Nevada
The Episcopal Diocese of Nevada is the diocese of the Episcopal Church in the United States of America comprising the entire State of Nevada. The tenth and current bishop of the Diocese is Dan Thomas Edwards, ordained bishop on 5 January 2008.
Under the leadership of diocesan bishop Wesley Frensdorff, who served from 1972 to 1985, Nevada became a leader in the concept of Total Ministry, the "ministry of all the baptized," in which laity and clergy have a more equal share in ministry.
The ninth bishop of Nevada, the Right Reverend Katharine Jefferts Schori, was elected the 26th Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church at the 2006 General Convention, becoming the first female primate in the Anglican Communion.
The Diocese works to be faithfully engaged in civic society with people of all faiths through Nevadans for the Common Good, Clergy and Laity United for Economic Justice, the Nevada Faith and Justice Alliance, Communities in Schools, All Our Children, Bread for the World and other groups working for justice and mercy..
- Joseph Cruickshank Talbot, Missionary, Northwest Diocese (1860 - 1869)
- Ozi William Whitaker, Missionary, Nevada and Arizona, (1869 - 1886)
- Abiel Leonard, Missionary, Utah and Nevada, (1888 - 1903)
- Henry Douglas Robinson (1908 - 1913)
- George Coolidge Hunting (1914 - 1924)
- Thomas Jenkins (1929 - 1942)
- William F. Lewis (1942 - 1959)
- William Godsell Wright (1960-1972)
- Wesley Frensdorff (1972 - 1985)
- Stewart Clark Zabriskie (1986 - 1999)
- Katharine Jefferts Schori (2001 - 2006)
* Jerry A. Lamb, Assisting (2007)
- Dan Thomas Edwards (2008 -)
- Katharine Jefferts Schori, 26th Presiding Bishop
- Succession list of Episcopal bishops
- Total Ministry
- The Diocese of Nevada web site
- Journal of the Annual Convocation of the Missionary District of Nevada