Episcopal Diocese of San Diego
|Diocese of San Diego|
|Ecclesiastical province||Province VIII|
|Cathedral||St. Paul's Cathedral|
|Bishop||James R. Mathes|
Location of the Diocese of San Diego
|edsd.org Diocese website|
The Episcopal Diocese of San Diego is the diocese of the Episcopal Church in the United States of America with jurisdiction over San Diego County, Imperial County and part of Riverside County in California plus all of Yuma County in Arizona. It is in Province 8 and encompasses some 50 congregations. It was created in 1973 by splitting off from the Episcopal Diocese of Los Angeles. Its cathedral, St. Paul's Cathedral, is in San Diego, as are the diocesan offices.
List of bishops
The bishops of San Diego have been:
- Robert M. Wolsterstorff, (elected December 7, 1973, consecrated March 30, 1974, retired 1982)
- C. Brinkley Morton, (1982–1992)
- Gethin B. Hughes, (1992–2005)
- James R. Mathes, (2005–present)
Since 2003 nine churches have severed their ties with the Diocese in protest over the consecration by the Episcopal Church in America of an openly gay bishop. Some dissident parishes attempted to retain control of their church buildings and property, but in 2008, the California Court of Appeal ruled for the Diocese and upheld the authority of Bishop Mathes to dismiss parish vestry members and clergy who sought to take a parish out of The Episcopal Church. Since then the dissident congregations have surrendered the property to the diocese and in some cases set up their own neighborhood churches, nominally under the authority of Anglican bishops from other countries.
Same Sex Marriage
The Episcopal Church provides "wide pastoral latitude" to individual bishops on the subject of blessing same sex couples. In 2010 Bishop Mathes approved a policy by which individual parishes could, after a self study period, choose to recognize LGBT couples in a blessing service.
- Davies, Matthew (April 9, 2009). "Fallbrook congregation to return to church on Easter". Worldwide Faith News. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- "Horizons & Heritage: Marking New Milestones". Diocesan History Project. Episcopal Diocese of Los Angeles. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- Episcopal Church Annual, 2006, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania: Morehouse Publishing, p. 342-343
- Episcopal Church Annual, 2006, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania: Morehouse Publishing, p. 342
- "Robert M. Wolterstorff, first bishop of San Diego, dies at 92". Episcopal News Service. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- Cadelago, Christopher (December 28, 2010). "Church walks away from Episcopal Diocese of S.D.". San Diego Union Tribune. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- New v. Kroeger, Case no. D05112, http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/opinions/revpub/D051120.PDF
- "Liturgies for Blessings". 76th General Convention. Episcopal Church. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- McCaughan, Pat (July 20, 2010). "San Diego: Bishop outlines process for same-gender blessings". Episcopal News Service. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- Episcopal Diocese of San Diego website
- St. Paul's Cathedral website
- Official Web site of the Episcopal Church