This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (March 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Nashua, NH USA and Stockholm, Sweden
|Adam Berger, Executive Chairman; Jessica Fardin, Chief Marketing Officer|
|Products||Episerver Digital Experience Cloud|
|Parent||Insight Venture Partners|
Episerver is a global software company offering web content management (WCM) (or CMS), digital commerce, and digital marketing, through the Episerver Digital Experience Cloud software platform. Episerver also offers personalization through Peerius, a company acquired in August 2016 and which is now fully integrated into Episerver Digital Experience Cloud.
Episerver was founded in 1994 in Stockholm, Sweden, by Mikael Runhem. Then known as Elektropost Stockholm AB, the company focused on internet-based electronic mail. Elektropost Stockholm AB expanded to provide technology for building websites and introduced the first version of the EPiServer CMS platform in 1997.
In 2002, the first version of EPiServer CMS that was based on Microsoft’s .NET Framework, EPiServer CMS 4.0, was launched. In 2006, Mikael Runhem changed the company’s name to EPiServer AB. In 2007, the second .NET-based version of EPiServer CMS was launched, version 5.
In 2010, the company was owned by a group of investors, including Amadeus Capital, Martin Bjäringer, Monterro Holdings, Northzone Ventures, Mikael Runhem and family and employees. In November 2010, this group sold the company to IK Investment Partners.[self-published source?]
In December 2014, IK Investment Partners sold Episerver to Accel-KKR, a technology-focused private equity investment firm. Accel-KKR had also recently purchased Ektron, a Nashua, New Hampshire-based CMS company. In January 2015, Episerver and Ektron merged. Two former executives from KANA Software, CEO Mark Duffell and CMO James Norwood, were appointed President and CEO and Executive Vice President Strategy and CMO of Episerver, respectively. Martin Henricson, CEO of the former Episerver business assumed the role of Executive Chairman for the merged entity.
The company combined its software into the Episerver Digital Experience Cloud, and in June 2015, Episerver launched the first major release of its platform following the Ektron merger. In November 2015, the company rebranded itself, changing EPiServer to Episerver, and including the shortened name “Epi”.
In August 2016, Episerver acquired Peerius, a London UK-based commerce personalization company. The brand now is fully integrated as EpiPersonalization into the Episerver Platform. Former Peerius CEO Roger Brown left the company.
In September 2018, Episerver was acquired by Insight Venture Partners for $1.16 billion.
In December 2019, Alexander Atzberger, former President of Customer Experience at SAP, joined Episerver as the company's new CEO.
Mergers and acquisitions
- March 1, 2012: Episerver acquired Mediachase, an e-commerce and collaboration software solutions[buzzword] provider.
- May 8, 2012: Episerver acquired 200OK AB, a Swedish enterprise search solutions[buzzword] provider.[self-published source?]
- May 6, 2013: Episerver acquired Swedish search provider, Euroling.
- January 27, 2015: Episerver merged with Ektron, a New Hampshire-based CMS company.
- August 31, 2016: Episerver acquired London-based Peerius, an omnichannel commerce personalization engine.
- October 1st, 2016 Episerver acquired Berlin-based Optivo, an email-marketing automation service provider.
- Tamturk, Venus. "Episerver Buys Peerius to Boost Autonomous Personalization". CMS Connected. CMS-Connected. Retrieved August 31, 2016.
- Guseva, Irina. "Web CMS Vendor EPiServer Acquired by a Surprising Buyer". CMSWire. Simpler Media Group, Inc. Retrieved Nov 10, 2010.
- "IK Investment Partners acquires Episerver". Episerver. Retrieved Nov 10, 2010.
- Backaitis, Virginia. "Not a Rumor: Accel-KKR Invests in Episerver". CMSWIre. Simpler Media Group, Inc. Retrieved Dec 8, 2014.
- Stern-Peltz, Mikkel. "IK sells EPiServer to Accel-KKR". Unquote. Mergermarket Limited. Retrieved Dec 9, 2014.
- "Episerver and Ektron merge". KMWorld. Information Today Inc. Retrieved Jan 27, 2015.
- Seebacher, Noreen. "Told You So: Ektron is Merging with Episerver". CMSWire. Simpler Media Group, Inc. Retrieved Jan 27, 2015.
- "Episerver and Ektron merge and target the mid-market for digital experience". Ovum. Informa PLC. Retrieved Feb 6, 2015.
- Nicastro, Dom. "Episerver Taps Ektron Roots in New Release". CMSWire. Simpler Media Group, Inc. Retrieved Jun 4, 2015.
- Backaitis, Virginia. "Episerver Tries to Rebuild its Brand". CMSWire. Simpler Media Group, Inc. Retrieved Nov 16, 2015.
- "Episerver Hires SAP Veteran Alex Atzberger as CEO". www.episerver.com. Retrieved 2019-12-06.
- "Episerver Acquires Business of e-Commerce Solution Provider Mediachase". Yahoo! Finance. Yahoo!. Retrieved Mar 12, 2012.
- "Episerver Acquires 200OK AB, an Enterprise Search Solution Provider". Episerver. Retrieved May 8, 2012.
- Berthiaume, Dan. "Episerver Scales for Big Data, Better Content Targeting With 200OK AB Acquisition". CMSWire. Simpler Media Group, Inc. Retrieved May 10, 2012.
- Castro, Marc. "Euroling Acquired by Episerver". Venture Capital Post. Retrieved May 7, 2013.