28 May 1938 |
|Formula One World Championship career|
|Active years||1967, 1974|
|Teams||Lotus, non-works Brabham|
|First entry||1967 Canadian Grand Prix|
|Last entry||1974 Canadian Grand Prix|
Wietzes emigrated with his family to Canada when he was 12 years old. He participated in two Formula One World Championship Grands Prix, debuting on 27 August 1967 in the inaugural Canadian Grand Prix at Mosport. He retired on lap 69 with wet electrics and was subsequently disqualified for receiving outside assistance. Wietzes also participated in the 1974 Canadian Grand Prix with a rented Brabham BT42 but again retired with a transmission problem. He scored no championship points. Wietzes later experienced success in the F5000 class and won the 1981 Trans-Am Series. In 1993, he was inducted into the Canadian Motorsport Hall of Fame.
He was the driver of the first safety car in Formula One, in the 1973 Canadian Grand Prix, taking a Porsche 914 course car on to the track after a collision involving François Cevert and Jody Scheckter.
Complete Formula One World Championship results
|1967||Team Lotus / Comstock Racing||Lotus 49||Cosworth V8||RSA||MON||NED||BEL||FRA||GBR||GER||CAN
|1974||Team Canada F1 Racing||Brabham BT42||Cosworth V8||ARG||BRA||RSA||ESP||BEL||MON||SWE||NED||FRA||GBR||GER||AUT||ITA||CAN
- Eppie Wietzes at grandprix.com
- Eppie Wietzes at f1database.com Archived 2010-02-25 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Weather affects first Canadian Grand Prix". Motor Sport magazine archive. October 1967. p. 71. Retrieved 1 January 2016.
- Small, Steve (1994). The Guinness Complete Grand Prix Who's Who. Guinness. p. 401. ISBN 0851127029.
- Eppie Wietzes at the Canadian Motorsport Hall of Fame Archived 2011-02-09 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Eppie Wietzes - Full Biography". Archived from the original on August 16, 2012. Retrieved October 9, 2010.
- Eppie Wietzes at f1pulse.com Archived 2011-07-10 at the Wayback Machine.
|This Formula One biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article related to Canadian auto racing is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|