Epping railway station, Melbourne
Station entrance in May 2014
|Location||Cooper Street, Epping
|Distance||22.82 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Platforms||2 (1 island)|
|Structure type||Below ground|
|Fare zone||Myki Zone 2|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||23 December 1889|
|Closed||28 November 1959|
|Rebuilt||28 November 2011|
Epping railway station is located on the South Morang line, in Victoria, Australia. It serves the north-eastern Melbourne suburb of Epping. It opened on 23 December 1889, as a station on the line to Whittlesea.
Services to the station were operated as country services. From 1924, an AEC railmotor shuttle service operated from Reservoir to Whittlesea, until the line was closed north of Lalor station in November 1959.
In November 1964, a new station opened a little down the line, as part of the electrification of the line from Lalor to Epping, with the station building relocated from Glen Waverley station, which was being rebuilt at the time.
The station was rebuilt during the late 1980s, in conjunction with the construction of the adjacent train depot, with the north face of the former island platform brought into use in July 1987, along with temporary station buildings. The new platform was built on a new alignment, with 200 metres of new track needed to link to the existing line. The former platform and station building from 1964 were demolished by late July 1987, along with the former alignment of the track, and overhead wiring. The south face of the island platform (former Platform 1) opened 9 months later, in April 1988. The new Solid State Interlocking was commissioned in 1989, and was the first fully computerised system in Melbourne.
The suburban train depot was opened in 1990. The depot was built as a replacement of the Jolimont Workshops, in central Melbourne. The depot covers 10.8 hectares, and can accommodate 31 trains, with the facility including a main workshop building, four elevated tracks, two lifting tracks, and a train wash.
In 2010, construction commenced on a new island platform north of Cooper Street, built below ground level, as part of a grade separation project. This was part of the duplication of the line from Keon Park, and its extension to South Morang. The new station opened on 28 November 2011.
Facilities, platforms & services
Epping has one island platform with two faces. Access to the platforms is provided by stairs and a lift. The station concourse contains a customer service window, an enclosed waiting room, toilets, and a kiosk. It is serviced by Metro Trains' South Morang line services.
Dyson's Bus Services operates six routes via Epping station:
- 356: to Wollert East
- 357: Wollert West – Thomastown station
- 358: to Wollert
- 556: Northland Shopping Centre – Pacific Epping
- 569 Pacific Epping – South Morang station
- 577: Pacific Epping – South Morang station
- Epping Vicsig
- Jack McLean (November 1995). "Reservoir-Whittlesea: Signalling and Safeworking". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. pp. 333–337.
- SE Dornan & RG Henderson (1979). Electric Railways of Victoria. Australian Electric Traction Society. pp. 67, 83. ISBN 0-909459-06-1.
- "Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. September 1987. p. 283.
- "Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. October 1987. p. 314.
- "Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. July 1988. p. 220.
- Epping Signal Box Vicsig
- "Extracts of 'The Whittlesea Railway' by Robert Aquilina". The Northcote History Group. home.vicnet.net.au. Retrieved 2008-06-16.
- Hugo Van Den Berghe (June 1989). "New Epping electric rain depot". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. pp. 168–169.
- "Upgrading Eltham to a Premium Station". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. October 1997. p. 310.
- Rail line boost already on track Herald Sun 28 November 2011
- South Morang Rail Alliance John Holland
- South Morang Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 356 Epping Station - Wollert East timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 357 Wollert West - Thomastown Station timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 358 Epping Station - Wollert timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 556 Epping - Northland timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 569 Pacific Epping - South Morang Station timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 577 Epping Plaza - South Morang Station timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 901 Frankston - Melbourne Airport timetable Public Transport Victoria