Epping railway station, Sydney
Langston Place exit in November 2007
|Location||Beecroft Road, Epping|
|Operated by||Sydney Trains|
Sydney Metro Northwest
|Distance||23.32 kilometres from Central|
|Platforms||5 (2 island, 1 side)|
|Website||Transport for NSW|
|Opened||17 September 1886|
|Rebuilt||7 October 1899|
23 February 2009
30 September 2018
|Previous names||Field of Mars|
|Passengers (2018)||25,500 (daily) (Sydney Trains, NSW TrainLink)|
Epping railway station is located on the Main Northern and Sydney Metro Northwest lines, serving the Sydney suburb of Epping. It is served by Sydney Trains T9 Northern Line, NSW TrainLink Central Coast & Newcastle Line, and from mid 2019, Sydney Metro Northwest services.
An additional island platform was added in 1928. The centre track was originally a terminating road, and was served by platforms on each side. This was intended as part of John Bradfield's proposed Epping to St Leonards line. A new booking office on the footbridge was added in 1967 after the original wooden structure was destroyed by fire.
In 1979, the centre terminating track was converted to a bi-directional main line with the platform face on the eastern side fenced off. As part of the 2000s upgrading works, the fencing was switched to the opposite platform.
Upgrade works began in 2004 to prepare the station for the Epping to Chatswood railway line. Works included a new concourse and pedestrian overpass, wider platforms, an underground transfer concourse and the addition of two underground platforms for the new line. The new aerial concourse was constructed to the north of the 1967 concourse, which was demolished. The above ground upgrades were completed on 14 April 2007, while the underground concourse and platforms were opened on 23 February 2009 in conjunction with the new line.
In 2019, Epping will become part of the new Sydney Metro Northwest line between Chatswood and Tallawong. This will involve the underground platforms being fitted with platform screen doors. As a result, the Northern line changed again by operating from Hornsby to Central via Strathfield.
Epping signal box opened on 31 October 1928 and operated the interlocking at Epping until its closure on 12 November 2006. The original miniature lever frame was replaced by an NX panel circa 1980. Control of the area was transferred to Strathfield signal box, and then to the new Homebush Control Centre in October 2008.
Platforms & services
|1||Weekday morning peak services to Sydney Central via Strathfield|||
|Services to Gordon via Strathfield & North Sydney|||
|2||Terminating services to Gordon via Strathfield & North Sydney|||
|3||Services to Hornsby|||
|services to Gosford, Wyong & Newcastle Interchange|||
|5||Services to Chatswood|| Closed, to reopen on 26th May 2019 as part of the Sydney Metro Northwest|
|6||Services to Tallawong||Closed, to reopen on 26th May 2019 as part of the Sydney Metro Northwest|
Stand A, Cambridge St:
- 288: to City (Erskine Street) via North Ryde & Gore Hill Freeway (State Transit)
- 290: to City (Erskine Street) via Epping Road & Pacific Highway (early mornings and late nights only) (State Transit)
- 291: to McMahons Point Wharf via Epping Road & Pacific Highway  (State Transit)
Stand B, Cambridge St:
Stand C, Beecroft Rd (eastbound):
Stand D, Beecroft Rd:
Stand E, Beecroft Rd:
- 546: to Parramatta station via Carlingford station & Oatlands (State Transit)
- 549: to Parramatta station via North Rocks Road (State Transit)
Stand F, Beecroft Rd:
Stand G, Beecroft Rd:
Epping station is served by one NightRide route:
- Epping Station NSWrail.net
- Epping Railway Station Group NSW Environment & Heritage
- "Station work is on track" MX 9 February 2007 page 2
- CityRail - Epping to Chatswood rail link CityRail
- Section 5.2.2, Epping to Thornleigh Third Track Environmental Impact Statement NSW Department of Planning & Infrastructure
- "Weekly Notice 21" Sydney Trains May 2016 page 5
- Planning starts to convert Epping to Chatswood rail line to rapid transit Transport for NSW 19 September 2014
- "Signalling & Safeworking" Railway Digest February 2007
- "Central Coast & Newcastle line timetable". Transport for NSW.
- "T9: Northern line timetable". Transport for NSW.
- "M: Metro North West line timetable". Transport for NSW.
- "State Transit route 288". Transport for NSW.
- "State Transit route 290". Transport for NSW.
- "State Transit route 291". Transport for NSW.
- "State Transit route 295". Transport for NSW.
- "State Transit route 550". Transport for NSW.
- "State Transit route 546". Transport for NSW.
- "State Transit route 549". Transport for NSW.
- "State Transit route 541". Transport for NSW.
- "Hillsbus route 630". Transport for NSW.
- "N80 Nightride". Transport for NSW.
- Media related to Epping railway station at Wikimedia Commons
- Epping station details Transport for New South Wales
- Epping Station Public Transport Map which includes Station Link route information Transport for NSW