Epping railway station, Sydney
Langston Place exit in November 2007
|Location||Beecroft Road, Epping|
|Operated by||Sydney Trains|
|Distance||23.32 kilometres from Central|
|Platforms||5 (2 island, 1 side)|
|Opened||17 September 1886|
|Rebuilt||7 October 1899
23 February 2009
|Previous names||Field of Mars
Epping railway station is located on the Main Northern and Chatswood-Epping lines, serving the Sydney suburb of Epping. It is served by Sydney Trains T1 Northern and NSW TrainLink Central Coast & Newcastle Line services.
An additional island platform was added in 1928. The centre track was originally a terminating road, and was served by platforms on each side. This was intended as part of John Bradfield's proposed Epping to St Leonards line. A new booking office on the footbridge was added in 1967 after the original wooden structure was destroyed by fire.
In 1979, the centre terminating track was converted to a bi-directional main line with the platform face on the eastern side fenced off. As part of the 2000s upgrading works, the fencing was switched to the opposite platform.
Upgrade works began in 2004 to prepare the station for the Epping to Chatswood railway line. Works included a new concourse and pedestrian overpass, wider platforms, an underground transfer concourse and the addition of two underground platforms for the new line. The new aerial concourse was constructed to the north of the 1967 concourse, which was demolished. The above ground upgrades were completed on 14 April 2007, while the underground concourse and platforms were opened on 23 February 2009 in conjunction with the new line.
In 2019, Epping will become part of the Sydney Metro Northwest line between Chatswood and Cudgegong Road. This will involve the underground platforms being fitted with platform screen doors. As a result, the Northern Line will change again by operating from Hornsby to Central via Strathfield.
Epping signal box opened on 31 October 1928 and operated the interlocking at Epping until its closure on 12 November 2006. The original miniature lever frame was replaced by an NX panel circa 1980. Control of the area was transferred to Strathfield signal box, and then to the new Homebush Control Centre in October 2008.
Platforms & services
|1||services to Central|||
|2||terminating services to & from Hornsby via Strathfield, North Sydney & Gordon|||
|3||services to Hornsby via Pennant Hills|||
|services to Gosford, Wyong & Hamilton (Newcastle)|||
|5||services to Penrith & Richmond via Macquarie Park & North Sydney|||
|6||services to Hornsby via Pennant Hills|||
Stand A, Cambridge St:
- 140: to Manly (State Transit)
- 288: to City (Erskine Street) via North Ryde & Gore Hill Freeway (State Transit)
- 290: to City (Erskine Street) via Epping Road & Pacific Highway (late nights only) (State Transit)
- 291: to McMahons Point Wharf via Epping Road & Pacific Highway (State Transit)
- 295: to Macquarie Centre (State Transit)
Stand B, Cambridge St:
- 295: to North Epping (State Transit)
Stand C, Beecroft Rd (eastbound):
Stand D, Beecroft Rd:
Stand E, Beecroft Rd:
- 546: to Parramatta station via Carlingford station & Oatlands (State Transit)
- 549: to Parramatta station via North Rocks Road (State Transit)
Stand F, Beecroft Rd:
Stand G, Beecroft Rd:
- Epping Station NSWrail.net
- Epping Railway Station Group NSW Environment & Heritage
- "Station work is on track" MX 9 February 2007 page 2
- CityRail - Epping to Chatswood rail link CityRail
- Epping to Thornleigh Third Track Transport for NSW
- Planning starts to convert Epping to Chatswood rail line to rapid transit Transport for NSW 19 September 2014
- "Signalling & Safeworking" Railway Digest February 2007
- "Central Coast & Newcastle line timetable" (PDF). NSW Trainlink. 5 January 2015.
- "T1: Northern line timetable" (PDF). Sydney Trains. 20 October 2013 [amended February 2015].
- "T1: North Shore & Northern line timetable" (PDF). Sydney Trains. 20 October 2013 [amended February 2015].
- "Route 140 timetable" (PDF). Sydney Buses. October 2010.
- "Routes 286 - 297 timetable" (PDF). Sydney Buses. 11 October 2009.
- "Route 295 timetable" (PDF). Sydney Buses. 20 October 2013.
- "Route M54 timetable" (PDF). Sydney Buses. 27 April 2014. (State Transit)
- "Routes 611 and 630 timetable". Hillsbus. 27 January 2015.
- "Route M54 timetable" (PDF). Sydney Buses. 27 April 2014.
- "Routes 546, 549, 552 and 553 timetable" (PDF). Sydney Buses. 20 October 2013.
- "Routes 521, 523, 524 and 541 timetable" (PDF). Sydney Buses. 7 June 2015.
- NightRide bus services Archived 15 February 2015 at the Wayback Machine. Transport Info NSW