|Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust|
|Location||Epsom, Surrey, England, United Kingdom|
|Care system||Public NHS|
|Hospital type||District General Hospital|
|Affiliated university||St Helier Hospital|
|Emergency department||Yes Accident and Emergency|
|Lists||Hospitals in England|
Description of the site
The hospital is situated on Dorking Road 1 kilometre (0.62 mi) south east of the centre of Epsom. It contains an accident and emergency and a range of diagnostic and supporting services including pathology, radiology (including CT, MRI and ultrasound), the South West Elective Orthopaedic Centre (SWLEOC) which calls itself a "centre of excellence", vascular diagnostic services and an acute psychiatric facility operated by Surrey and Borders Partnership NHS Foundation Trust.
The first hospital in Epsom opened in 1873, with eight beds. The current building opened in 1890 as part of the poor laws. It was staffed by volunteers until the establishment of the National Health Service in 1948.
In 2011, it was revealed that the hospital was at risk of losing its A&E services as part of a Better Services Better Value (BSBV) programme, which would rationalise hospital facilities across Surrey and south west London. In 2013, local MP Chris Grayling said that constituents should show their support for retaining these services at the hospital.
The hospital has its own radio service, "Epsom Hospital Radio", which is a registered charity and is staffed by volunteers. Since 1979, its mascot has been Ruddles The Bear, which was named after a competition in the Epsom Guardian. The hospital is also supported by a charity, the Friends of Epsom and West Park Hospitals.
- "Epsom Hospital". Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust. Retrieved 18 October 2013.
- "The EOC". South West Elective Orthopaedic Centre. Archived from the original on 5 November 2013. Retrieved 18 October 2013.
- Mole, Charlie (17 February 2011). "Join our campaign to protect Epsom Hospital". Epsom Guardian. Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- "Show feeling' on Epsom Hospital, urges Surrey MP". BBC News. 18 March 2013. Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- "Local Charities". Whatsoninepsom.com. Archived from the original on 5 November 2013. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Ruddles The Bear". Epsom Hospital Radio. Retrieved 21 October 2013.