Residents Associations of Epsom and Ewell
|Vice Chairman||Natalie Rogers|
|Headquarters||49 Harefield Avenue
Epsom and Ewell
|Surrey County Council||
3 / 81
|Epsom and Ewell Borough Council||
31 / 38
The Residents Associations of Epsom and Ewell is a local political party in the borough of Epsom and Ewell in Surrey, England. They have held majority control of Epsom and Ewell Borough Council since its formation in 1937. The party is unofficial and so sometimes recorded as Other in national results lists and otherwise recorded alongside residents associations with a single Articles of Association. It consists of ward or multiple ward based residents associations with their own candidate selection rules. These include Ewell Court Residents' Association, Epsom Town Residents' Association  and West Ewell and Ruxley Residents’ Association.
The majority of Residents' Associations were formed from the expansion of housing provision in the 1930s with the aim of bettering the lives of residents and forming a community. This tradition of forming residents groups on new developments within the borough continues today, such as Clarendon Park Residents' Association which was formed in 2001.
Traditionally throughout the UK local councillors would stand as independents, however throughout the 20th Century it became common for councillors to be elected with a party affiliation. Today Epsom and Ewell Borough Council is the only council in England where Residents' Associations have overall control.
There are 11 independent Residents Associations that form the Residents' Associations of Epsom and Ewell. The Standing Committee of Residents Associations (SCoRA) provides a forum for the Residents' Associations to discuss common issues or borough wide concerns. These meetings are for the Chair and Secretary of the respective groups, however councillors may be asked to attend these forums to update SCoRA on progress or concerns at the council.
Epsom and Ewell Borough Council
They contest all 38 available ward councillor seats and are the controlling group on Epsom and Ewell Borough Council. They currently have 31 elected councillors in the following multiple member wards:
- Auriol – 2 of 2
- College – 0 of 3
- Court – 0 of 3
- Cuddington – 3 of 3
- Ewell – 3 of 3
- Ewell Court – 3 of 3
- Nonsuch – 3 of 3
- Ruxley – 3 of 3
- Stamford – 3 of 3
- Stoneleigh – 3 of 3
- Town – 3 of 3
- West Ewell – 3 of 3
- Woodcote – 2 of 3
Surrey County Council
Candidates from local residents associations contest county elections under the banner of the Residents Associations of Epsom and Ewell, which is a registered political party. This differs from borough elections where some residents associations are registered as political parties in their own right while some are not. They currently have three elected county councillors, in the following single member divisions:
The other two divisions have Conservative councillors:
- 1.^ The Liberal Democrat councillor for Epsom West resigned mid-term.
- "Ewell Court Residents Association". ECRA. 25 February 2017.
- "Epsom Town Residents Association". ETRA. 25 February 2017.
- "Clarendon Park RA Facebook page". Facebook. 25 February 2017.
- "England council results". BBC. 7 May 2015.
- "Epsom and Ewell Borough Council Election Results 2015". Epsom Borough Council. 8 May 2015. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016.
- "Election results for Ewell". Surrey County Council. 2 May 2013.
- "Election results for Ewell Court, Auriol & Cuddington". Surrey County Council. 2 May 2013.
- "Election results for West Ewell". Surrey County Council. 2 May 2013.
- "Election results for Epsom Town and Downs". Surrey County Council. 2 May 2013.
- "Election results for Epsom West". Surrey County Council. 19 Nov 2015.
- "London: Local election preview". BBC News. 2003-04-04. Retrieved 2010-02-03.
- "Residents hold control of Epsom". BBC News. 2007-05-04. Retrieved 2010-02-03.