Equality impact assessment
An equality impact assessment (EqIA) is a process designed to ensure that a policy, project or scheme does not discriminate against any disadvantaged or vulnerable people.
The EqIA process aims to prevent discrimination against people who are categorised as being disadvantaged or vulnerable within society. These categories are called equality target groups (ETGs) and are currently designated by the Greater London Authority as:
- black, Asian and ethnic-minority people;
- young people and children;
- older people;
- disabled people;
- Lesbian people, gay people, bisexual people and transsexual people; and
- people from different faith groups.
Within the UK, EqIAs are still popular as a means of ensuring that the public-sector equality duty is met. However, on 19 November 2012, prime minister David Cameron announced that EqIAs would no longer be undertaken for government decisions.
- Social Impact Assessment
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Health Impact Assessment
- Sustainability Appraisal
- Equality Act 2006
- Environmental Justice
- Environmental racism
- Equality Act 2010
- Equal Opportunity
- "Ready: What is an equality impact assessment?". Equality impact assessment quick-start guide: A step-by-step guide to integrating equality impact assessment into policymaking and review (PDF document). Equality and Human Rights Commission. March 2010. p. 3. ISBN 978 1 84206 269 2. Retrieved 26 February 2016.
- Planning policy for traveller sites: Equality impact assessment (PDF document). Communities and Local Government. Retrieved 26 February 2016.
- BBC News. URL accessed 19 November 2012.
Bainard, J., Jones, A., Bateman, I., Lovett, A. & Fallon, P. (2001) Modelling environmental equity: access to air quality in Birmingham, England Environment and Planning A 2002, volume 34, pages 695 – 716
Burningham, K. & Thrush, D. (2001) Local environmental concerns in disadvantaged neighbourhoods 
Capacity Global (2004) BME Communities Tackling Environmental and Social Inequalities 
Davies, A. and Binsted, A. (2007) Environmental Equity and Equality Impact Assessment in the United Kingdom (07-1568) - TRB Annual Meeting Compendium of Papers CD-ROM, TRB 86th Annual Meeting, Washington D.C., January 2007 
Friends of the Earth (2000) Pollution injustice 
Friends of the Earth (2001) Pollution and Poverty – Breaking the Link 
Gay, R., Jeffery, B., and Saunders, P. (2005) Burden of disease: environmental inequalities 
Greater London Authority (2003) Equality Impact Assessments - How to do them 
Transport for London (2004) Equality Impact Assessments - How to do them