Equatorial Guinea at the 2000 Summer Olympics
|Equatorial Guinea at the
2000 Summer Olympics
|NOC||Equatoguinean Olympic Committee|
|Competitors||4 in 2 sports|
|Summer Olympics appearances (overview)|
Swimmer Eric Moussambani achieved international fame when he struggled through a 100-metre swim, alone in the pool after the other two competitors were disqualified. Moussambani had never swum in an Olympic-sized pool before, and received strong support from spectators for his efforts, followed by media coverage, noting his unusual situation and praising his courage. Paula Barila Bolopa attracted similar interest and support.
Results by event
- José Luis Ebatela Nvo
- Round 1 - 4:06.14 (→ did not advance, 40th place)
- Mari Paz Mosanga Motanga
- Round 1 - 12.91 (→ did not advance, 75th place)
Men's 100m Freestyle
- Eric Moussambani
- Preliminary Heat - 1:52.72 (→ did not advance, 71st place)
Women's 50m Freestyle
- Paula Barila Bolopa
- Preliminary Heat - 1:03.97 (→ did not advance, 73rd place)
- "Courage on the blocks", The Times, 19 September 2000
- "Barila Bolopa paddles her way to Olympic stardom", Agence France-Presse, 21 September 2000
- "'Paula the Crawler' sets record", BBC, 22 September 2000
- Wallechinsky, David (2004). The Complete Book of the Summer Olympics (Athens 2004 Edition). Toronto, Canada. ISBN 1-894963-32-6.
- International Olympic Committee (2001). The Results. Retrieved 12 November 2005.
- Sydney Organising Committee for the Olympic Games (2001). Official Report of the XXVII Olympiad Volume 1: Preparing for the Games. Retrieved 20 November 2005.
- Sydney Organising Committee for the Olympic Games (2001). Official Report of the XXVII Olympiad Volume 2: Celebrating the Games. Retrieved 20 November 2005.
- Sydney Organising Committee for the Olympic Games (2001). The Results. Retrieved 20 November 2005.
- International Olympic Committee Web Site
|This article about sports in Equatorial Guinea is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This 2000 Olympics-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|