Equity Bank Kenya Limited
|Headquarters||9th Floor, Equity Centre
Hospital Road, Upper Hill
Managing Director & CEO
|Products||Loans, Mortgages Investments, Debit Cards, Credit Cards|
|Revenue||: Aftertax: US$142.72 million (KES:12.64 billion) (2013)|
|Total assets||US$3.21 billion (KES:284.37 billion) (Q3:2014)|
|Parent||Equity Group Holdings Limited|
Equity Bank Kenya Limited, is a financial services provider headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya. It is licensed as a commercial bank, by the Central Bank of Kenya, the central bank and national banking regulator.In 2010 the entity introduced Agency banking model which has proved a successand still regulated by Central Bank of Kenya Prudential guidelines.
Equity Bank Kenya Limited was incorporated in 2014 as a result of the corporate restructure of Equity Group Holdings Limited. Prior to November 2014, Equity Group Holdings Limited operated both as a licensed bank and a holding company for its subsidiaries.
On 31 October 2014, Equity Bank announced its intention to incorporate a new wholly owned subsidiary, Equity Bank Kenya Limited, to which it would transfer its Kenyan banking business, assets and liabilities. The rationale for the re-organisation is that by converting Equity Group Holdings Limited into a non-trading holding company (as defined under the Banking Act) that owns both banking and non-banking subsidiary companies and provides strategic, brand, risk and talent management to its subsidiaries, the Group will be better placed to invest and to develop the existing and new businesses as part of its third phase of growth and transformation.
During an extraordinary shareholders general meeting held on 24 November 2014, it was resolved to adopt the proposed restructure thus leading to the formation of Equity Bank Kenya Limited.
Equity Bank is a wholly owned subsidiary of Equity Group Holdings Limited. Making it a member of the Equity Group Holdings Limited.
Equity Group Holdings Limited
The Equity Bank Kenya Limited's parent company, the Equity Group Holdings Limited, has a customer base in excess of 9.2 million in the six East African countries that it serves, making it the largest commercial bank on the African continent, by customer numbers. Equity Group Holdings Limited is a large financial services conglomerate in East Africa, with an asset base estimated at over US$3.83 billion (KES:339.44 billion), and shareholders' equity in excess of US$644.6 million (KES:57.1 billion), as of 30 September 2014. The companies that comprise the Equity Group Holdings Limited include the following:
- Equity Bank Kenya Limited – Nairobi, Kenya
- Equity Bank Rwanda Limited – Kigali, Rwanda
- Equity Bank South Sudan Limited – Juba, South Sudan
- Equity Bank Tanzania Limited – Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- Equity Bank Uganda Limited – Kampala, Uganda
- ProCredit Bank Congo SARL – Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Equity Consulting Group Limited – Nairobi, Kenya
- Equity Insurance Agency Limited – Nairobi, Kenya
- Equity Nominees Limited – Nairobi, Kenya
- Equity Investment Services Limited – Nairobi, Kenya
- Finserve Africa Limited – Nairobi, Kenya
- Equity Group Foundation – Nairobi, Kenya
Shares of the stock of Equity Group Holdings Limited, the parent company of Equity Bank, are listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange (NSE), under the symbol EQTY. The Group's stock is also cross-listed on the Uganda Securities Exchange (USE), under the symbol EBL.
Equity Bank maintains a network of 173 branches across Kenya, which includes 38 branches in Nairobi.
- Equity Group Holdings Limited
- Equity Bank (Rwanda)
- Equity Bank (South Sudan)
- Equity Bank (Tanzania)
- Equity Bank (Uganda)
- List of banks in Kenya
- Central Bank of Kenya
- Okoth, Edwin (6 June 2018). "Peter Munga retires as Equity chair after serving for 35 years". Business Daily Africa. Nairobi. Retrieved 6 June 2018.
- EBG, . (March 1014). "Audited December 2013 Annual Report". Equity Bank Group (EBG). Retrieved 23 November 2014.
- CBK, . "Central Bank of Kenya: Directory of Commercial Banks And Mortgage Finance Companies". Central Bank of Kenya (CBK). Archived from the original on 1 July 2014. Retrieved 23 November 2014.
- "New agency banking system deepens access to financial services". Business Daily. Retrieved 2017-08-23.
- "Equity Bank 3.0: Agency Banking & Equitel". bankelele.blogspot.co.ke. Retrieved 2017-08-23.
- "Legislation and Guidelines - CBK". CBK. Retrieved 2017-08-23.
- EBG, . (31 October 2014). "Circular To Shareholders for The Transfer of The Kenyan Banking Business To A Newly Created, Wholly Owned Subsidiary". Equity Bank Group (EBG). Archived from the original on 12 November 2014. Retrieved 23 November 2014.
- "Results of the Extra-ordinary General Meeting of Equity Bank Limited held on 24th November, 2014". http://equitybankgroup.com/. Equity Bank Group. 24 November 2014. Retrieved 26 November 2014. External link in
|website=(help)[permanent dead link]
- Flood, Zoe (3 July 2014). "Kenya's Mobile Innovation Brings Digital Money Closer". BBC News. Retrieved 23 November 2014.
- EBG, . (October 2014). "Equity Bank Group Financial Statement As At 30th September 2014". Equity Bank Group (EBG). Retrieved 23 November 2014.
- EBG, . "Equity Bank Kenya: Board of Directors". Equity Bank Group (EBG). Archived from the original on 28 November 2014. Retrieved 23 November 2014.