|Elevation||10 m (30 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||TN 74, TN 75|
Eraniel is a panchayat town in Kanyakumari district in the state of Tamil Nadu, India. It is of major commercial and political importance in the history of South India, as it was the seasonal capital of the affluent Venad and later Travancore kingdoms until the seventeenth century, when Padmanabhapuram and Thiruvananthapuram rose to prominence. Currently it is known for its archaeological importance for the ruins of the dilapidated Eraniel Palace.
Eraniel is located at  It has an average elevation of 10 meters (32 feet). It is near to Thuckalay. Eraniel's ancient name is Eranyasinga nalloor..
Eraniel is a small settlement which sprawls over an area of around 3 km². It is bounded in the north by Thalakkulam and in the east by Villukuri. Eraniel is around 72 km from Thiruvananthapuram and 7 km from Colachel Port. Kanyakumari, the southernmost tip of India, is nearly 32 km from the town. Nearby tourist destinations include Padmanabhapuram Palace (was the capital of Travancore). In 1745, the capital was shifted from Padmanabhapuram to Thiruvananthapuram.
The nearest airport is Trivandrum International Airport, 72 km away. Eraniel Railway Station serves the town. Eraniel can be approached by road from Nagercoil, Muttam and Colachel.
Eraniel has a small palace located near Eraniel Gramam. The palace compound which spreads over slightly more than three-and-one-half acres only now consists of three identifiable parts – the Padippura or the majestic entrance way (now in total ruins), the main palace (also called Kuthiramalika) and the vasanthamandapam (spring pavilion)   .
As of 2010[update] India census, Eraniel had a population of 9844. Males constitute 50% of the population and females 50%. Eraniel has an average literacy rate of 82%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 84%, and female literacy is 80%. In Eraniel, 9% of the population is under 6 years of age. 
Government Higher Secondary School Eraniel (English Medium)
Government High School for Girls Eraniel(English Medium)
Government Middle School(Kotayakam)(English Medium)
Government Middle School(Eraniel Jn)(English Medium)
Uma Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Alwarcoil & Madavilagam (English Medium)
Mothers Kidzee Pre School, Malkarai-Eraniel(English Medium)
All buses from Thingalnagar bus stand will pass through Eraniel.
For every 5 minutes you have buses to Nagercoil & For every 15 minutes you have buses to Thuckalay
Many buses run from Nagercoil via Eraniel. All the buses stops at Eraniel, there are also buses to Chennai from Eraniel.
Rathimeena Travels, Lakshmi Travelers, Bethelehem Transport, Tippu Sultan, Universal Travels, Infant Jesus, Leeya Travels
Eraniel railway station (comes under Trivandrum Railway Division)
Ananthapuri Exp (Time :17:15 towards Chennai) (Trivandrum to Chennai), Island Exp to Bangalore, Guruvayur to Chennai Mail, Kanya Kumari to Mumbai cst exp will stop at this station.
Daily it has local trains from Nagercoil to Trivandrum also stopping at Eraniel.
A computerized railway reservation counter has now started in Eraniel Railyway Station. Passengers can book railway tickets for any route from this station.
Mobile Network Availability
- Airtel (2g & 3g network)
- Aircel(2g & 3g network)
- Idea(2g & 3g network)
- Vodafone(2g & 3g network)
- BSNL (2g network)
- Reliance (HSPDA,3G,2G network)
- Jio (4g)
- Dr.S. Chithambara Kuttalam Pillai, Eraniel (Child specialist)
- SIVA Hospital (Dr. Murugan), Near GHSS Eraniel
- Rathi Hospital (Dr. Rathi Murugan), Kathadimoodu Jn Eraniel
- B.N.Clinic [Dr.Kollappan]
- A M Hospital(Dr.Usha Hospital), Eraniel
- Dr.Arumugam Neuro Hospital, Thalakulam(1 km from Eraniel)
- CSI Mission Hospital, Neyyoor
- State Bank of India, Thingalnagar (1 km from Eraniel, Stop: Eraniel Court)
- Indian Overseas Bank, Eraniel (Near SBI)
- HDFC Bank, Thukalay (at Court Junction)
- Syndicate Bank, Thingalnagar (Opp to Thingalnagar Bus stand)
- Tamil Nadu Mercantile Bank, Thingalnagar (Near SBI)
- Kaniyakumari District Co-operative Bank, Thingalnagar (Near Junction)
- Federal Bank, Eraniel
- State Bank of India (Jewell Bazaar, Eraniel)
- State Bank of India (Near Eraniel Court, Eraniel)
- Indian Overseas Bank, Eraniel (Near SBI)
- Tamil Nadu Mercantile Bank (Near Eraniel Police Station)
- ICICI Bank (Near TMB)
- Federal Bank
- Indian Bank (Near Neyoor Hospital)
Other nearest government offices
- Magistrate Court / Civil Court (Stop: Eraniel Court)
- Police Station / Women Police Station (Opp to Eraniel Court)
- Sub-Register Office (Next to Court, Eraniel)
- Telephone Exchange (BSNL)
- Electricity Board (TNEB, Eraniel) (1 km from Eraniel)
- Post Office 629802 (Near Eraniel Court bus stop on Nagercoil road)
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Eraniel
- "Royal remnant". The Hindu. 24 November 2007.
- "The palace that has become a skeleton". The Hindu. 18 July 2011.
- "Eraniel Palace: A Perishing Heritage Monument". onlinekanyakumari.com. Retrieved 2017-11-06.
- "The rise and fall of Eraniel palace, Sharat Sunder Rajeev". The Hindu. 17 June 2016. Retrieved 2017-11-06.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.