Erdem Moralioglu is a Canadian and Turkish fashion designer. He was born in Montreal, Quebec, Canada to a Turkish father and an English mother and grew up between Montreal and Birmingham, England. He earned a B.A. in fashion from Ryerson University in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and then worked as an intern for Vivienne Westwood. Erdem moved to London in 2000 to study fashion at the Royal College of Art on a Chevening Scholarship. Upon receiving his master's degree in 2003, he went on to close the 2003 RCA show with his graduate collection. He then moved to New York where he worked alongside Diane von Fürstenberg before relocating back to London to launch his own label, ERDEM, in 2005.
Known for his use of experimental textiles, vibrant prints, and detailed craftsmanship, ERDEM mixes the delicate with the bold.
ERDEM has received numerous accolades over the years, including the 2008 British Fashion Council’s Fashion Forward Award; the 2010 inaugural Vogue / British Fashion Council Designer Fashion Fund Award, the 2012 British Fashion Council’s New Establishment Award, the 2013 British Fashion Council’s Red Carpet Award, the 2014 British Fashion Council’s Womenswear Designer of the Year Award and most recently the 2015 British Fashion Council’s Establishment Designer award.
ERDEM is sold in over 170 of the most exclusive retailers, including Barneys New York, Bergdorf Goodman, Lane Crawford, Colette, Dover Street Market, Selfridges and Harvey Nichols. After launching an e-commerce store in 2014, the label opened its debut flagship store in London’s Mayfair in August 2015.
His clothes have been worn by actors Cate Blanchett, Marion Cotillard, Michelle Williams, Gwyneth Paltrow, Emma Watson, Julianne Moore, Anne Hathaway, Alicia Vikander, Keira Knightley, Rashida Jones, Emma Stone, Linda Evangelista, Jessica Chastain and Sarah Jessica Parker amongst others. In addition, the Duchess of Cambridge and the Countess of Wessex have worn the brand in several public outings. Most recently Royal Ballet Principal dancer Lauren Cuthbertson wore an ERDEM dress to the 2015 Laurence Olivier Awards. Actress Meghan Markle wore a £1,200 floral print ERDEM maxi dress when she attended a wedding with Prince Harry in March 2017.
Moralioglu has received numerous prestigious awards including:
• 2005: Fashion Fringe Award
• 2007: The Swarovski/British Fashion Council Fashion Enterprise Award
• 2008: The BFC's Fashion Forward Award
• 2009: Fashion Future Award
• 2010: British Fashion Council/Vogue Designer Fashion Fun Award and Elle Style Awards, ‘Designer of the Year’
• 2011: WGSN Global Fashion Awards, ‘Most Influential Designer’
• 2012: British Fashion Council New Establishment Award
• 2013: British Fashion Council Red Carpet Award and WGSN Womenswear Designer of the Year Award
• 2014: British Fashion Council ‘Womenswear of the Year’ Award
• 2015: ‘Designer of the Year’ at Canadian Arts & Fashion and UK Elle Style Awards.
• 2015: British Fashion Council 'Establishment Designer' award.
He was also nominated by the British Fashion Council for "Designer of the Year 2009" and was named one of the 1000 most influential people in London by the Evening Standard.
- Shulman, Alexandra. "When Vogue Met Erdem". Retrieved 2018-08-14.
- "Harry and Meghan...the REAL story of their romantic Jamaican reunion". Mail Online. Retrieved 2017-03-06.
- The Independent (15 September 2008). "Star in the making: Designer Erdem Moralioglu". London. Retrieved 2011-02-27.
- Style. "Erdem". Archived from the original on 2011-03-16. Retrieved 2011-02-27.