|Black-necked eremomela (Eremomela atricollis) in Sakania, DR Congo|
The eremomelas are a genus, Eremomela, of passerines in the cisticola family Cisticolidae. The genus was previously placed with the larger Old World warbler family Sylviidae prior to that genus being broken up into several families. The genus contains eleven species, all of which are found in sub-Saharan Africa. They occupy a range of habitats, from arid scrub to lowland tropical forest. They are intermediate in appearance between crombecs and apalis, and measure between 8.5 to 12 cm (3.3–4.7 in) in length. The sexes are alike in size and plumage.
The genus was erected by the Swedish zoologist Carl Jakob Sundevall in 1850. The type species is the yellow-bellied eremomela (Eremomela icteropygialis). The word Eremomela comes from the Ancient Greek erēmos for "desert" and melos for "song" or "melody".
- Yellow-bellied eremomela (Eremomela icteropygialis)
- Salvadori's eremomela (Eremomela salvadori)
- Yellow-vented eremomela (Eremomela flavicrissalis)
- Senegal eremomela (Eremomela pusilla)
- Green-backed eremomela (Eremomela canescens)
- Green-capped eremomela (Eremomela scotops)
- Karoo eremomela (Eremomela gregalis)
- Burnt-necked eremomela (Eremomela usticollis)
- Rufous-crowned eremomela (Eremomela badiceps)
- Turner's eremomela (Eremomela turneri)
- Black-necked eremomela (Eremomela atricollis)
- Madge, Steve (2006), "Family Sylviidae (Old World Warblers)", in del Hoyo, Josep; Elliott, Andrew; Christie, David, Handbook of the Birds of the World. Volume 11, Old World Flycatchers to Old World Warblers, Barcelona: Lynx Edicions, pp. 683–685, ISBN 978-84-96553-06-4
- Sundevall, Carl Jakob (1850). "Eremomela". Öfversigt af Kongl. Vetenskaps-akademiens forhandlingar (in Swedish). 7: 102.
- Mayr, Ernst; Cottrell, G. William, eds. (1986). Check-list of Birds of the World. Volume 11. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Museum of Comparative Zoology. p. 196.
- Jobling, James A. (2010). The Helm Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names. London: Christopher Helm. p. 148. ISBN 978-1-4081-2501-4.
- Gill, Frank; Donsker, David, eds. (2017). "Grassbirds, Donacobius, Malagasy warblers, cisticolas & allies". World Bird List Version 7.3. International Ornithologists' Union. Retrieved 26 August 2017.
|This Cisticolidae-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|