January 31, 1963 |
Ergün Poyraz (born 31 January 1963) is a best-selling and prolific Turkish author known for his controversial books about the ruling Justice and Development Party, the Islamic preacher Fethullah Gülen, and people associated with them. He is best known for his 2007 book Children of Moses, which accused Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and his wife of being secret Jews and of cooperating with Israeli intelligence to undermine Turkish secularism. He was arrested in 2007 and was a defendant in the Ergenekon trials; on 5 August 2013, he was sentenced to 29 years in prison.
Poyraz' 2007 book Children of Moses accused Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and his wife of being secret Jews and cooperating with Israeli intelligence to undermine Turkish secularism. His book The Rose of Moses contains similar allegations about President Abdullah Gül. At the time of his 2007 arrest Poyraz appears to have been working on a book about Deniz Baykal.
In 2013, Poyraz lost a libel case brought on behalf of the preacher Fethullah Gülen, the leader of the controversial Islamic Gülen movement, over his book Amerika'daki İmam ("The Imam in America").
He was arrested in 2007 and charged with membership of the Association for the Union of Patriotic Forces (VKGB), which is said to be linked to the Ergenekon organization. According to Taraf, Poyraz was paid by the JITEM military intelligence unit; General Levent Ersöz has also spoken of payments to Poyraz.
- Fethullah’ın Gerçek Yüzü / Said- i Nursi’den Demirel ve Ecevit’e ("The Real Face of Fethullah: From Said-i Nursi to Demirel and Ecevit"), Otopsi, İstanbul, 2000.
- Misyonerler Arasında Altı Ay, 2004
- Kanla Abdest Alanlar ("Those Who Perform their Ablutions with Blood"), Togan Yayıncılık, İstanbul, 2007.
- Musa'nın Çocukları: Tayyip ve Emine ("Children of Moses: Tayyip and Emine"), Togan Yayıncılık, 2007
- Musanın Gülü ("The Rose of Moses"), Togan Yayıncılık, 2007
- Patlak Ampul ("Broken Lamp"), Togan Yayıncılık, İstanbul, 2007.
- Amerika'daki İmam ("The Imam in America"), 2009
- Takunyalı Führer, Togan Yayıncılık, İstanbul, 2010.
- Tarikat, Siyaset, Ticaret ve Cinayet: Masonlarla El Ele, Togan Yayıncılık, 2011
- İplikçi: Kirli İlişkiler Yumağı, Tanyeri Kitap, 2013
- idefix.com, Ergün Poyraz
- tr:Amerika'daki İmam
- Hurriyet Daily News, 1 August 2007, Anti-government author charged over ultra-nationalist links
- Hurriyet Daily News, 25 August 2001, From the papers
- Mustafa Akyol, Hurriyet Daily News, 5 May 2007, The latest Jewish conspiracy: Turkey's 'moderate Islam' and the AKP
- Today's Zaman, 28 July 2007, Author of controversial book on PM detained
- Today's Zaman, 17 August 2010, Baykal affair document found on Ergenekon suspect’s computer
- Zaman, 8 March 2013, Hocaefendi’ye iftiradan tazminat ödeyecek Archived May 18, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.
- Today's Zaman, 17 January 2009, Ergun Poyraz was keeping tabs on military, media learn
- Today's Zaman, 31 March 2008, Controversial writer Poyraz was paid by illegal military intelligence Archived March 4, 2016, at the Wayback Machine.
- Today's Zaman, 12 August 2010, Ergenekon suspect Ersöz: I did what Gen. Eruygur ordered
- Today's Zaman, 16 October 2010, Eruygur blamed for siphoning money through fake firm
- "Ergenekon kararı okunmaya başlandı". Milliyet. August 5, 2013. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- Today's Zaman, 5 August 2013, Long sentences for Ergenekon suspects, life for ex-army chief Archived August 6, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.