Eric C. Bauman
|Chair of the California Democratic Party|
Assumed office |
May 20, 2017
|Preceded by||John Burton|
|Born||New York City, New York, U.S.|
Excelsior College (BS)|
American Century University
Eric Carl Bauman is an American political operative who is currently the Chair of the California Democratic Party. Previously the vice chair of the state party (2009-2017) and Chair of the Los Angeles Democratic Party (2000-2017), he is known for his influence in Los Angeles County Democratic politics.
Early life and education
Born in Bronx, New York, Bauman worked as a registered nurse for many years before entering politics. He obtained his bachelor's degree in nursing from Excelsior College, University of the State of New York. He also obtained graduate education in Health Care Administration from Century University, now known as American Century University. He lives in North Hollywood with his husband of many years, Michael. Eric's cousin is musician Jon "Bowzer" Bauman.
Bauman is chair of the California Democratic Party, the largest State Democratic Party entity in the United States.
The LA Weekly states that "The general public doesn't know much, if anything, about Bauman, but he's a professional Democrat and behind-the-scenes power player who has a reputation for playing hard-ball politics and not always being a nice guy." Bauman has been known to send cease and desist letters to those who falsely imply an official connection to the Democratic Party.
He was ranked #11 on the Capitol Weekly's "Top 100″ in 2016, saying, "Eric Bauman, born in the Bronx, N.Y., has been the chair of the L.A. County Democratic Party since 2000 and he’s making a run at the chairmanship of the California Democratic Party, which will be available when John Burton steps down next year. The chances are, Bauman will get the statewide job, according to the people we talked to."
Under his leadership, the LA Democratic Party has been awarded 15 Pollie Awards and 3 Reed Awards.
Bauman is regularly quoted by the Los Angeles Times and often appears on Cable News Network (CNN) and KTTV Fox 11 News on issues relating to Los Angeles County and California Democratic politics.
He is a senior adviser to Speaker of the Assembly Anthony Rendon. He served in this role previously for Speakers John A. Perez and Toni G. Atkins, in addition to having been Governor Gray Davis' Southern California Director, and having served as Deputy Insurance Commissioner under then Insurance Commissioner John Garamendi.
Bauman makes regular monthly appearances on Charter Communications' California Edition.
Prior to attending the 2016 Democratic National Convention as a PLEO Delegate, Bauman was featured in a special edition of KNBCLA's News Conference with Conan Nolan
Among his many media appearances he makes was a special 2016 election edition on PBS.
On May 20, 2017, he was elected Chair of the California Democratic Party at the annual state convention.
Bauman has been criticized for his ties to California's pharmaceutical industry. He has lobbied against Proposition 61 which would have prohibited the state from buying drugs that are more expensive that price the Department of Veterans Affairs pays. This criticism has re-emerged following his election to become Chair of the California Democratic Party.
- "Who We Are - Los Angeles County Democratic Party". Retrieved November 12, 2016.
- Aron, Hillel (December 22, 2011). "Eric Bauman, L.A. Democratic Party Kingmaker". Retrieved November 12, 2016.
- "Eric Bauman as LA's Macchiavelli?". December 23, 2011. Retrieved November 12, 2016.
- McDonald, Patrick Range (February 22, 2011). "Democratic Boss Eric Bauman to L.A. Weekly: Your Paper is 'Trash'". Retrieved November 12, 2016.
- Aron, Hillel (May 31, 2012). "Eric Bauman v. Gloria Romero in Assembly District 46". Retrieved November 12, 2016.
- "Capitol Weekly's Top 100 - Capitol Weekly". Retrieved November 12, 2016.
- "No. 11: Capitol Weekly's Top 100 - Capitol Weekly". Retrieved November 12, 2016.
- "Capitol Weekly's Top 100 List - Page 5 of 11 - Capitol Weekly". Retrieved November 12, 2016.
- "Campaign Awards - Los Angeles County Democratic Party". Retrieved November 12, 2016.
- Times, Los Angeles. "L.A. County OKs contract to design new touch-screen voting system". Retrieved November 12, 2016.
- LACDP (September 30, 2010). "Eric Bauman on the first Jerry Brown vs. Meg Whitman debate". Retrieved November 12, 2016 – via YouTube.
- LACDP (December 31, 1969). "Bauman vs. Tea Partiers on Fox". Retrieved November 12, 2016 – via YouTube.
- "Eric Bauman on California Edition - Eric C. Bauman". Retrieved November 12, 2016.
- "NewsConference Extra All Eyes on Philadelphia DNC"
- DavidNazarNews (April 18, 2016). "California Democratic Party Surrogate Defends Hillary Clinton". Retrieved November 12, 2016 – via YouTube.
- Willon, Phil; Mehta, Seema (2017-05-16). "'Old school versus new school:' The battle over who will run the California Democratic Party". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 2017-05-18.
- Ross, Matier & (2016-06-13). "Democratic adviser Eric Bauman collects cash to fight drug measure". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 2017-05-21.
- Willon, Phil (2016-12-01). "California Democratic Party leaders may be asked to fess up when paid to back ballot measures". latimes.com. Retrieved 2017-05-21.
- Press, JONATHAN J. COOPER Associated (2017-05-21). "California Democratic chair race angers 'Berniecrats'". miamiherald. Retrieved 2017-05-21.
- Eric C. Bauman Personal website
- Los Angeles County Democratic Party: Meet the Chair Los Angeles County Democratic Party
- California Democratic Party: Officers California Democratic Party
|Party political offices|
John L. Burton
| Chair of the California Democratic Party