Eric C. Bauman
Eric C. Bauman
|Chair of the California Democratic Party|
May 20, 2017 – November 29, 2018
|Preceded by||John Burton|
|Succeeded by||Alex Gallardo-Rooker (Acting)|
Eric Carl Bauman
December 10, 1958
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Education||Excelsior College (BS)|
American Century University
Eric Carl Bauman (born December 10, 1958) is an American political operative who was most recently the Chair of the California Democratic Party. Previously the vice chair of the state party (2009-2017) and Chair of the Los Angeles Democratic Party (2000-2017), he is known for his influence in Los Angeles County Democratic politics. He announced his resignation as head of the California Democratic Party on November 29, 2018 following sexual misconduct allegations.
Early life and education
Born in The Bronx, New York, Bauman worked as a registered nurse for many years before entering politics. He obtained his bachelor's degree in nursing from Excelsior College. He also obtained graduate education in Health Care Administration from Century University, now known as American Century University, a for-profit university based in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Bauman was chair of the California Democratic Party, the largest State Democratic Party entity in the United States.
Under his leadership, the LA Democratic Party was awarded 15 Pollie Awards and 3 Reed Awards.
Bauman is regularly quoted by the Los Angeles Times and often appears on CNN and KTTV Fox 11 News on issues relating to Los Angeles County and California Democratic politics. Bauman also makes regular monthly appearances on Charter Communications' California Edition.
He is a senior adviser to Speaker of the California State Assembly, Anthony Rendon. He has served in this role previously for Speakers John Pérez and Toni Atkins, in addition to having been Governor Gray Davis' Southern California Director, and having served as Deputy Insurance Commissioner under then-Insurance Commissioner John Garamendi.
On May 20, 2017, he was elected Chair of the California Democratic Party at the annual state convention. He was the first openly gay and Jew to serve as Chair of the Party. On November 29, 2018, he resigned from this position
In November 2018, the California Democratic Party Vice Chairman Daraka Larimore-Hall filed a complaint accusing Bauman of having sexually assaulted or harassed Larimore-Hall's staff members.
Bauman has been criticized for his ties to California's pharmaceutical industry. He has lobbied against Proposition 61 which would have prohibited the state from buying drugs that are more expensive that price the Department of Veterans Affairs pays. This criticism has re-emerged following his election to become Chair of the California Democratic Party.
- Mason, Phil Willon, Melanie. "California Democratic Party leader Eric Bauman to resign after accusations of sexual misconduct". latimes.com. Retrieved November 30, 2018.
- "CA Democratic Party chair resigns amid misconduct allegations". November 29, 2018. Retrieved November 30, 2018.
- "Who We Are - Los Angeles County Democratic Party". Retrieved November 12, 2016.
- Aron, Hillel (December 22, 2011). "Eric Bauman, L.A. Democratic Party Kingmaker". Retrieved November 12, 2016.
- "Campaign Awards - Los Angeles County Democratic Party". Retrieved November 12, 2016.
- Times, Los Angeles. "L.A. County OKs contract to design new touch-screen voting system". Retrieved November 12, 2016.
- LACDP (September 30, 2010). "Eric Bauman on the first Jerry Brown vs. Meg Whitman debate". Retrieved November 12, 2016 – via YouTube.
- LACDP (December 31, 1969). "Bauman vs. Tea Partiers on Fox". Retrieved November 12, 2016 – via YouTube.
- "Eric Bauman on California Edition - Eric C. Bauman". Retrieved November 12, 2016.
- ""NewsConference Extra All Eyes on Philadelphia DNC"". Retrieved November 30, 2018.
- Willon, Phil; Mehta, Seema (2017-05-16). "'Old school versus new school:' The battle over who will run the California Democratic Party". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 2017-05-18.
- "May election: Will a gay man lead California Democrats?". Retrieved November 30, 2018.
- "Party official accuses state Democratic chairman of sexual misconduct". SFChronicle.com. 2018-11-25. Retrieved 2018-11-25.
- "Cal Dem Chairman Accused Of Sexual Misconduct". 2018-11-24. Retrieved 2018-11-25.
- Koseff, Alexei (2018-11-24). "California Democratic Party leader investigated for sexual misconduct". The Sacramento Bee. ISSN 0890-5738. Retrieved 2018-11-25.
- Ross, Matier & (2016-06-13). "Democratic adviser Eric Bauman collects cash to fight drug measure". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 2017-05-21.
- Willon, Phil (2016-12-01). "California Democratic Party leaders may be asked to fess up when paid to back ballot measures". latimes.com. Retrieved 2017-05-21.
- Press, JONATHAN J. COOPER Associated (2017-05-21). "California Democratic chair race angers 'Berniecrats'". miamiherald. Retrieved 2017-05-21.
- Eric C. Bauman Personal website
- Los Angeles County Democratic Party: Meet the Chair Los Angeles County Democratic Party
- California Democratic Party: Officers California Democratic Party
|Party political offices|
John L. Burton
| Chair of the California Democratic Party