Eric C. Tostrud
Eric C. Tostrud
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota|
|Assumed office |
September 10, 2018
|Appointed by||Donald Trump|
|Preceded by||Donovan W. Frank|
|Born||June 14, 1965|
Saint Paul, Minnesota, U.S.
|Education||St. Olaf College (BA)|
William Mitchell College of Law (JD)
Eric Christian Tostrud (born June 14, 1965) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota. He is also a professor at the Mitchell Hamline School of Law.
Tostrud earned his Bachelor of Arts, cum laude, from St. Olaf College and his Juris Doctor, summa cum laude, from the William Mitchell College of Law. Upon graduation from law school he served as a law clerk to Judge Edward J. Devitt of the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota and to Judge George E. MacKinnon of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.
Before becoming a judge, Tostrud was Of Counsel with Lockridge Grindal Nauen P.L.L.P.. Tostrud previously practiced at that firm full-time before becoming an academic. During his 26 years with the firm, he maintained a complex commercial litigation practice almost exclusively in federal court, with emphasis in the areas of complex insurance coverage, health care litigation, and ERISA. Tostrud serves on the full-time faculty at Mitchell Hamline School of Law as the Distinguished Practitioner in Residence. He teaches in the areas of federal jurisdiction and federal-court procedure.
Federal judicial service
On February 12, 2018, President Trump announced his intent to nominate Tostrud to an undetermined seat on the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota. On February 15, 2018, his nomination was sent to the Senate. Tostrud was nominated to the seat on the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota vacated by Judge Donovan W. Frank, who assumed senior status on October 31, 2016. On April 11, 2018, a hearing on his nomination was held before the Senate Judiciary Committee. On May 10, 2018, his nomination was reported out of committee by a voice vote. On September 6, 2018, his nomination was confirmed by voice vote. He received his judicial commission on September 10, 2018.
- Mylife.com profile
- "President Donald J. Trump Announces Eleventh Wave of Judicial Nominees" White House, February 12, 2018 This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- PN1649 — Eric C. Tostrud — The Judiciary, congress.gov
- United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary: Nominations for April 11, 2018
- Results of Executive Business Meeting – May 10, 2018, Senate Judiciary Committee
- "PN1649 — Eric C. Tostrud — The Judiciary". United States Senate. February 15, 2018. Retrieved September 6, 2018.
- Eric C. Tostrud at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
Donovan W. Frank
| Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota
|This American law-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|