|56 – Eric Cooper|
Cooper in 2007
December 18, 1966 |
Des Moines, Iowa
|MLB debut||June 17, 1996|
|Career highlights and awards|
Eric Richard Cooper (born December 18, 1966), is an American professional baseball umpire. He has worked throughout Major League Baseball (MLB) since 1999. Cooper wears number 56. He has umpired in nine Division Series, one League Championship Series, one All-Star Game, one World Series, and one World Baseball Classic.
After college, Cooper attended the Joe Brinkman Umpire School, and spent several years as a minor league umpire. He appeared in the Appalachian League (1990), Midwest League (1991), Florida State League (1992), Eastern League (1993-94), American Association (1995–97) and Pacific Coast League (1998).
Cooper has consistently worn number 56 as an umpire. He worked the Division Series (2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014), the 2004 NLCS, the 2014 World Series, and the 2005 All-Star Game. Cooper also worked the San Juan, Puerto Rico round of the 2009 World Baseball Classic.
Cooper was the home plate umpire for Hideo Nomo's no-hitter in 2001, and for Mark Buehrle's no-hitter against the Texas Rangers on April 18, 2007. He was also was behind the plate for Buehrle's subsequent perfect game thrown in 2009. Cooper joined Ed Vargo as umpires who had called balls and strikes for two no-hitters by the same pitcher. Eric is one of only eight active major league umpires who have worked behind the plate for multiple no-hitters; the others are Jeff Kellogg, Ed Hickox, Ted Barrett, Adrian Johnson, Ron Kulpa, Brian Knight, and Greg Gibson.
Cooper was the third base umpire in the last game played at the old Yankee Stadium.
He was also the plate umpire for the September 2008 game in which Francisco Rodriguez tied the major league single-season save record. Cooper was struck by a foul ball during the game, but was able to continue after a brief pause. Rodriguez would break the record before the end of the season.
- Pradhan, Shagun (October 18, 2011). "ISU graduate makes his way to Major League umpiring". Iowa State Daily. Retrieved August 7, 2012.
- MLB. "Eric Cooper". Retrieved 2009-07-23.
- Buehrle hurls no-hitter to lead ChiSox over Rangers ESPN.com. Retrieved July 30, 2012
- "Rodriguez ties saves record in win over Mariners". Associated Press. September 11, 2008. Retrieved August 7, 2012.
- Spencer, Lyle; Michael Schwartz (September 14, 2008). "K-Rod nabs single-season saves mark". MLB.com. Retrieved March 9, 2013.