April 15, 1968
|Alma mater||UCLA, 1988
UCLA School of Law, 1994
UCLA Anderson School of Management, 1994
|Employer||Santa Clara University School of Law|
Technology & Marketing Law Blog
Eric Goldman is a law professor at Santa Clara University School of Law and Director of the law school's High Tech Law Institute. He is a leading expert in the fields of Internet Law and Intellectual Property, and he has been recognized as an "IP Thought Leader" by Managing IP magazine and with the "IP Vanguard Award" from the California State Bar's Intellectual Property section. He was also part of the first wave of teaching Internet Law courses in law schools, having taught his first course in 1995–96. He also co-authored (with Rebecca Tushnet of Georgetown Law) the first Advertising & Marketing Law casebook for the law school community.
Goldman also writes the influential Technology & Marketing Law Blog, which covers Internet Law, Intellectual Property, and Advertising Law. The blog has received several awards, including being named to the ABA Journal's Blawg 100 every year since 2009.
Some of Goldman's other projects include DoctoredReviews.com, a website designed to combat doctors' efforts to suppress patients' reviews; serving on the board of directors of the Public Participation Project, a group lobbying for federal anti-SLAPP legislation; providing copyright advice to Justin.tv; and coauthoring an amicus brief in the 1-800 Contacts, Inc. v. WhenU.com, Inc. case with the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
Before he joined the faculty at Santa Clara University, he was an assistant professor at Marquette University Law School, General Counsel of Epinions.com, and a technology transactions attorney at Cooley Godward.
- "Search Engine Bias and the Demise of Search Engine Utopianism", Yale Journal of Law & Technology (abstract) (SSRN) 8, Spring 2006: 188.
- "Deregulating Relevancy in Internet Trademark Law", Emory Law Journal (abstract) (SSRN) 54, 2005: 507.
- "Warez Trading and Criminal Copyright Infringement", Journal of Copyright Society (abstract) (USA: SSRN) 51, 2004: 395.
- "Wikipedia’s Labor Squeeze and its Consequences", Journal of Telecommunications and High Technology Law (abstract) (USA: SSRN) 8, 2010: 157.
- "Goldman, Eric", Faculty (profile), Santa Clara: High Tech Law.
- Awards Shortlists revealed, North America: Managing IP, 2012.
- "IP Vanguard Award Honorees", IP Law, CA: Cal bar, 2011.
- Teaching Cyberlaw (abstract), St. Louis University Law Journal.
- Advertising & Marketing Law: Cases & Materials, self-published, July 2012.
- Goldman, Eric (Sep 18, 2013), "Self-Publishing A Legal Casebook: An Ebook Success Story", Forbes, retrieved Dec 7, 2013.
- Goldman, Eric, Technology & Marketing Law (blog).
- Goldman, Eric, Biography.
- Doctored Reviews.
- Board of Directors, Anti-SLAPP.
- "Justin.tv", TechCrunch, Mar 15, 2010
- Press Release, EFF, Feb 19, 2004.
- Eric Goldman's columns at Forbes.com