Eric Gonzalez (lawyer)
|Kings County District Attorney|
|Assumed office |
October 9, 2016
|Preceded by||Kenneth P. Thompson|
|Born||1969 (age 50–51)|
Brooklyn, New York
|Residence||Brooklyn, New York|
|Alma mater||Cornell University (B.A.)|
University of Michigan School of Law (J.D.)
Eric Gonzalez is an American attorney who is currently serving as the district attorney for Kings County in Brooklyn, New York. Gonzalez became the acting district attorney in October 2016 after his predecessor, Kenneth P. Thompson, died shortly after announcing that he was stepping down to be treated for cancer. He had previously served as the chief assistant district attorney under Thompson.
Early life and education
Gonzalez grew up in the neighborhoods of East New York and Williamsburg in Brooklyn. He attended John Dewey High School in Coney Island and graduated from Cornell University in 1992 with a bachelor's in government and history. In 1995, he received his law degree from the University of Michigan Law School, where he was president of the Latino Law Students Association.
District attorney's office
Gonzalez began his legal career as an assistant district attorney in the Kings County District Attorney's Office immediately after graduating law school in 1995. He served several years as a junior and then senior assistant in different bureaus, including the Sex Crimes and Special Victims Bureau, Domestic Violence Bureau, Orange Trial Zone Bureau, and Green Trial Zone Bureau.
Gonzalez was promoted to supervisory positions in the Green Trial Zone, which consists of the 60th, 61st, 70th, 71st, and 72nd precincts in Brooklyn. In 2011, he became the Executive Assistant District Attorney of the Green Trial Zone, and in March 2014 he was promoted to the position of Counsel to the District Attorney, where he guided the launch of several of District Attorney Kenneth P. Thompson's initiatives, including the creation of the Conviction Review Unit and the policy regarding the non-prosecution of many low-level marijuana possession cases. In October 2014, he was appointed chief assistant district attorney by Thompson.
Acting district attorney
On October 4, 2016, Thompson announced that he had been suffering from an undisclosed type of cancer and that he was selecting Gonzalez to serve as acting district attorney while he sought treatment. Thompson died just five days later on October 9. On October 17, New York governor Andrew Cuomo announced that he was not appointing an interim district attorney or calling a special election despite a push to replace Gonzalez with Public Advocate Letitia James, stating his desire that "[the district attorney's] work [continue] without interruption or delay."
At the next year's election, Gonzalez won a six-way Democratic primary with 53% of the vote on September 12, 2017. He was elected in November 2017 with no Republican candidate opposing him, and was sworn in on January 21, 2018. He is the first Latino to serve in the position.
Professional affiliations and awards
Gonzalez is a member of the Puerto Rican Bar Association and is also on the Board of Directors of the Kings County Criminal Bar Association. In December 2016, he was given an award by the Bridge Multicultural Project in Brooklyn for promoting multicultural unity. In October 2017, he was honored by the Cervantes Society of the New York Unified Court System. He is a Cub scout den leader.
Family and personal life
Gonzalez lives in Brooklyn with his wife and three sons.
- The Editorial Board (September 4, 2017). "Eric Gonzalez for Brooklyn District Attorney". The New York Times. Retrieved April 5, 2020.
- "Ken Thompson, Brooklyn District Attorney, Dies After Disclosing Cancer". Retrieved 2018-09-09.
- "Eric Gonzalez Wins Primary Election for Brooklyn District Attorney". Retrieved 2018-09-09.
- "City Limits » A User's Guideto New York City'sElected Positions". City Limits. Retrieved 2018-09-09.
- "Brooklyn D.A. Eric Gonzalez". brooklynda.org. Kings County District Attorney's Office. Retrieved 19 October 2016.
- "Trial Zones". brooklynda.org. Kings County District Attorney's Office. Retrieved 19 October 2016.
- Feuer, Alan (October 5, 2016). "Ken Thompson, Brooklyn District Attorney, Says He Has Cancer and Will Take Leave". New York Times. p. A17. Retrieved 19 October 2016.
- Feuer, Alan (October 10, 2016). "Ken Thompson, Brooklyn District Attorney, Dies After Disclosing Cancer". New York Times. p. A1. Retrieved 19 October 2016.
- Carrega-Woodby, Christina (January 1, 2017). "Cuomo to let acting Brooklyn DA Eric Gonzalez finish term despite push for Public Advocate Letitia James". New York Daily News. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- Feuer, Alan (October 18, 2016). "Cuomo Declines to Appoint Successor for Brooklyn District Attorney". New York Times. p. A18. Retrieved 19 October 2016.
- "Primary Election 09/12/2017 Kings County - Democratic Party" (PDF). New York State Board of Elections.
- Feuer, Alan (September 13, 2017). "Victory in Crowded Primary Will Keep Brooklyn District Attorney in Office". New York Times. p. A23. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- Max, Ben (September 13, 2017). "2017 New York City Primary Election Results". Gotham Gazette. Retrieved 13 September 2017.
- "Statement and Return Report for Certification General Election – 11/07/2017 Kings County – All Parties and Independent Bodies District Attorney –Kings" (PDF). vote.nyc.ny.us/. Board of Elections in the City of New York. Retrieved 8 February 2018.
- Abruzzese, Rob (January 22, 2018). "Eric Gonzalez officially sworn in as Brooklyn's district attorney". brooklyneagle.com. Brooklyn Daily Eagle. Retrieved 8 February 2018.
- CARREGA, CHRISTINA. "Eric Gonzalez on track to be N.Y.'s first Latino District Attorney after primary victory - NY Daily News". nydailynews.com. Retrieved 2018-09-09.
- "Cuomo Opts To Stay With Gonzalez As District Attorney". kingscountypolitics.com. Kings County Politics. Retrieved 19 October 2016.
- "Acting Brooklyn DA Eric Gonzalez Receives Award for Promoting Multicultural Unity". Williamsburg-Greenpoint, NY Patch. 2016-12-20. Retrieved 2018-09-09.
- "Cervantes Society honors Acting DA Gonzalez and Brooklyn judge at awards ceremony | Brooklyn Daily Eagle". www.brooklyneagle.com. Retrieved 2018-09-09.
Kenneth P. Thompson
| Kings County District Attorney