Eric Hansen (travel writer)
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Eric Hansen is a travel writer, most famous for his book Stranger in the Forest: On Foot Across Borneo, about a 4,000 km trek through the heartland of Borneo. He lives in San Francisco. For 25 years he has traveled throughout Europe, the Middle East, Australia, Nepal, and Southeast Asia. He lived in the deserts, jungles, rain forests and islands of the Middle East and Asia throughout the 1980s and has worked as a goldsmith, a buffalo catcher, a pig farmer, a wild dog hunter and as a barber in Mother Teresa's 'Home for the Destitute Dying' in Calcutta. His articles, photographs, and reviews have appeared in the New York Times, National Geographic, Travel and Leisure, Condé Nast Traveler, and Outside, among other publications worldwide.
Hansen was interviewed by Michael Feldman on the latter's Whad'Ya Know? radio show.
Awards and honors
Stranger in the Forest (1988) was ranked #50 in National Geographic Adventure's "100 Greatest Adventure Books of All Time" (2004). The Bird Man and the Lapdancer (2004) was included in Condé Nast Traveler's "The 86 Greatest Travel Books of All Time" (2007).
- Stranger in the Forest (1988)
- Motoring with Mohammed (1991)
- The Traveler: An American Odyssey in the Himalayas (1993)
- Orchid Fever (2000)
- The Bird Man and the Lap Dancer (2004)
- Brandt, Anthony (May 2004). "Extreme Classics: The 100 Greatest Adventure Books of All Time". National Geographic Adventure. Archived from the original on 2 September 2004. Additional pages archived on 22 July 2004: Page 1, Page 2, Page 3, Page 4, Page 5.
- "The 86 Greatest Travel Books of All Time". Conde Nast Traveler. September 2007. Retrieved June 23, 2014.
- National Geographic's 100 Greatest Adventure Books of All Time
- Condé Nast Traveler 86 Greatest Travel Books of All Time
- Open Letter Regarding Kew Gardens Allegations
- Interview with Eric Hansen - Rolf Potts Vagabonding
- Interview with Eric Hansen - Powell's Books
- Radio Interview - NPR
- Article: Orchids
- Article: Sarongs
- Article: Yogurt
- Article: Sana'a Rising
- Article: World's First Soft Drink
- Article: Looking for Khalasah
- Article: Carrying Dates to Hajar
- Article: Scented Wood 'Ud
|This article about a United States writer of non-fiction is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|