Education and career
Prior to co-founding I Can Has Cheezburger? Nakagawa worked as a Software Developer in Honolulu, Hawaii. "In early 2007, after a bad day at work, Eric Nakagawa asked his friend (and future co-founder) Kari Unebasami to send him a photo of something cute to make him feel better. She sent over a few cat images, superimposed with phonetically spelled phrases, or LOLspeak, and the two knew they’d found their calling."  Nakagawa and Unebasami sold I Can Has Cheezburger? to Ben Huh in July 2007. ICHC was instrumental in bringing animal-based image macros and lolspeak into mainstream usage.
Nakagawa is a New York Times bestselling author with his book "I Can Has Cheezburger?" appearing on the New York Times Best Sellers list in January 2009.
In 2014 he started Doge4water, an Internet fundraising scheme where people donated dogecoins to help provide a well for poor water-scarce areas of Kenya. Within days the fundraising was successful.
- Tozzi, John (2007-07-13). "Bloggers Bring in the Big Bucks". BusinessWeek. Retrieved 2012-05-25.
- "Icanhascheezburger". Mahalo.com. Retrieved 2012-05-25.
- Wortham, Jenna (2008-04-25). "Behind the Memes: Kickin' It With the I Can Has Cheezburger? Kids | Underwire". Wired.com. Retrieved 2012-05-25.
- "Simple Honey Travel Startup Team in Town". http://www.hawaiiweblog.com. August 31, 2011. External link in
- "The cuteness surge". http://thephoenix.com. February 1, 2008. Archived from the original on 2012-04-20. External link in
- "Best Sellers - The New York Times". Nytimes.com. Retrieved 2012-05-25.
- Wallace, Lewis (2008-03-11). "SXSW: 2008, the Year the Audience Keynoted | Underwire". Wired.com. Retrieved 2012-05-25.
- AtGoogleTalks (2008-09-26). "Authors@Google: Eric Nakagawa & Kari Unebasami". YouTube. Retrieved 2012-05-25.
- Wednesday, May 9, 2012 (2012-05-09). "Cheezburger Creator Launches SimpleHoney To Find Hotels You'll Love". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2012-05-25.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- Wednesday, April 3, 2013 (2013-04-03). "simplehoney acquired by Ripple". Crunchbase.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- Wednesday, March 19, 2014. "LinkedIn Profile". LinkedIn.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)