Nalder and three colleagues with The Seattle Times shared the National Reporting Pulitzer in 1990 for their "coverage of the Exxon Valdez oil spill and its aftermath". At the same time he was personally an Explanatory Journalism Pulitzer finalist for "a revealing series about oil-tanker safety and the failure of industry and government to adequately oversee the shipping of oil."
Nalder and two Seattle Times colleagues won the Investigative Reporting Pulitzer in 1997 for "their investigation of widespread corruption and inequities in the federally sponsored housing program for Native Americans, which inspired much-needed reforms."
- 2009 Excellence in Criminal Justice Reporting Awards 
- 2008 George Polk Award
- 2001 Clarion Award Investigative Reporting
- 1997 Pulitzer Prize for Investigative Reporting
- 1996 “Excellence in Journalism” Investigative Reporting Award, by Society of Professional Journalists
- 1993 Goldsmith Prize
- 1990 Pulitzer Prize for National Reporting
- Tankers Full of Trouble: the perilous journey of Alaskan crude (Grove Press, 1994), ISBN 978-0-8021-1458-7
- Overwhelming Evidence: crime labs in crisis, Tomás Guillen, Eric Nalder, Seattle Times, 1995
- "The steadfast reporting of Eric Nalder". The Center for Investigative Reporting. 2007-08-30. Retrieved 2013-11-04.
-  Archived May 7, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- [dead link]
-  Archived July 23, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "National Reporting". The Pulitzer Prizes. Retrieved 2013-11-04.
- "Explanatory Journalism". The Pulitzer Prizes. Retrieved 2013-11-04.
- "The 1997 Pulitzer Prize Winners: Investigative Reporting". The Pulitzer Prizes. Retrieved 2013-11-04. With short biographies and reprints of 23 works (Seattle Times articles December 1–5, 1996).
- "John Jay College Of Criminal Justice | The City University of New York| Seattle Post-Intelligencer and Times Herald-Record Reporters Win 2009 Excellence in Criminal Justice Reporting Awards". Jjay.cuny.edu. Retrieved 2013-11-04.