Nam at KCON 2016 LA in July 2016
November 17, 1988
|Revised Romanization||Nam Yun-do|
Eric Nam (Hangul: 에릭남; born November 17, 1988) is a Korean American singer, songwriter and host based in South Korea. He was named "2016 Man Of The Year" by GQ Korea and honored "30 Under 30 Asia 2017" by Forbes.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Career
- 3 Discography
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Awards and nominations
- 6 References
- 7 External links
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (September 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Born and raised in Atlanta, Georgia, United States. Eric graduated from The Lovett School in 2007 and from Boston College in 2011 with a major in International Studies, a minor in Asian Studies, and spent a year abroad at Peking University in Beijing, China. He had accepted a position as a Business Analyst at Deloitte Consulting in New York City, before deferring to participate in microfinance initiatives in India, after this he decided to pursue a career in entertainment.  Eric is fluent in English and Korean, highly proficient in Spanish and conversational in Mandarin.
Following a viral YouTube cover, MBC invited Eric to Seoul to compete on the popular program, "Star Audition:Birth of a Great Star 2", a show similar to X Factor. After eight months, Eric placed within the Top 5 contestants and jump-started his career in South Korea.
2013–2015: Debut with Cloud 9 and hosting
On January 23, 2013, Eric made his debut with the release of his first EP Cloud 9 with lead single "Heaven's Door".
For 2013 to 2016, Eric was the MC of Arirang TV's After School Club and its spin off, The ASC After Show, an interactive show for K-pop artists and their fans, broadcast in 188 countries. The live shows regularly trend worldwide number one on Twitter. Eric would leave to focus on his music career. Eric has created his niche as the "go to" personality for international celebrity interviews in South Korea through his role on MBC's Section TV – Entertainment Relay. To date, Eric has interviewed stars such as Robert Downey Jr., Miranda Kerr, Matt Damon, Jamie Foxx, Andrew Garfield, Amanda Seyfried, Paris Hilton, Barbara Palvin, Emma Stone, Noel Gallagher, Ki Hong Lee, Benedict Cumberbatch and many more. Eric's interviews, both international and Korean, have garnered rave reviews due to his wit and ability to connect with interviewees on a personal level; they have also become viral hits, regularly taking over Korea's real-time issue charts. He thus became a way for the American and Korean media to interact with one another and their respective actors and actresses.
In April 2014, Eric returned with his first digital single, "우우 (Ooh Ooh)", and his sold out stage at the Seoul Jazz Festival alongside names such as Chris Botti, Damien Rice, Jamie Cullum, Paolo Nutini, and Craig David. In December, he released his second digital single "Melt My Heart".
In February 2015, Eric was featured on Amber Liu's EP Beautiful on the song "I Just Wanna". In March, he released his single "I'm OK" and its accompanying music video. In May, Eric released his single, "Dream", featuring 15&'s Park Ji-min for Charity Project.
2016–2017: Interview and US release
Eric released his second EP, Interview with the title track "Good For You" on March 24, 2016. That same month, he also took part in S.M. Entertainment's digital music channel SM Station by releasing "Spring Love", a duet track with Red Velvet's Wendy.
On April 16, 2016, Eric hosted and performed at SNL Korea, receiving one of the highest ratings of the season. In late April, Eric joined the virtual marriage show We Got Married with Solar from Mamamoo as his partner.
On June 10, 2016, Eric released his first U.S. single, "Into You" in collaboration with electronic band, KOLAJ. "Into You" premiered worldwide on Beats 1 Radio and The Fader, subsequently leading to a number one charting on Hype Machine. Following the success of the track, he received coverage from notable publications such as Buzzfeed, LA Times, NBC News, Fuse TV, Hypebeast, Fusion, USA Today, TIME Magazine, and more. Later that month, Eric Nam headlined KCON NY 2016 and performed five of his songs, including "Into You" to a sold out Prudential Center. He then followed-up on the success of "Into You" by releasing his digital single, "Can't Help Myself" in July 2016, with the lyrics written by Epik High's Tablo and featuring AOMG rapper Loco. Eric Nam also headlined KCON LA 2016 and performed "Can't Help Myself" and "Into You" with KOLAJ to a sold out Staples Center.
Eric became the host of the new Mnet's talk show Yang and Nam Show with comedian Yang Se-hyung in November 2016. Additionally, he premiered his collaboration with Grammy award-winning producer Timbaland titled "Body" at the 2016 Mnet Asian Music Awards.
In 2017, Eric collaborated with Gallant and Tablo on the single release of "Cave Me In". "Cave Me In" premiered worldwide on Zayn Lowe's Beats 1 Radio Show and was trending globally on YouTube and Facebook for over 72 hours upon release. The music video was shot in Hong Kong. He also featured on Seohyun's WP Don't Say No on the song "Hello", and collaborated with Jeon So-mi for the release of the single "You, Who?". Furthermore, Eric featured on DJ / dance producer, Arty's single, "Idea Of You".
Eric performed three sold-out shows in New York City and Atlanta in August 2017, featuring Alec Benjamin as his opener. These shows sold out in one minute during the presale. Due to overwhelming demand, Eric added an additional date in Atlanta and increased the venue size in New York City.
2018–present: Honestly and North American Tour
At the 2018 Winter Olympics in South Korea, Eric was named as an Honorary Ambassador. Additionally, Eric was featured on American broadcasting network NBC primetime, in which he provided an in-depth look at K-pop with interviewers Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski.
On April 11, 2018, Eric released his second EP Honestly. Fronted by singles "Honestly" and "Potion", the latter of which features rapper Woodie GoChild and was released ahead of the album on April 9, Honestly plays up the artist’s synth and electro-pop leanings while bringing in some dancehall and reggaeton influences. Eric worked with numerous notable songwriters on the album, including Brian Lee, Tablo, Jake Torrey, and more. Additionally, Eric stated that the members of BTS helped provide him with numerous feedback as he was creating the album. In the first week, the album debuted at number six on the Billboard World Album charts.
Additionally, Eric released the song FLOAT, which he co-wrote with the producer Kool Kojak. Kojak has produced for artists such as Katy Perry, Flo Rida, Kesha, and Nicki Minaj. The song was picked up by Sony Pictures and featured in the official soundtrack for the movie Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation. Upon release, the movie was number one at the US box office.
- Cloud 9 (2013)
- Interview (2016)
- Honestly (2018)
|2011-2012||MBC||Birth of A Great Singer 2||Contestant|
|2013-2016||Arirang TV||After School Club||Host||Left to focus on music career.|
|2014–2015||MBC||We Got Married 4||Panelist|
|2015||MBC||King of Mask Singer
(May 3, Ep 5)
|Contestant||As "Hello Mr. Monkey"|
|2015–present||Olive TV||No Oven Dessert 2||Host|
|2016||MBC||We Got Married
(April 9-November 19, Ep 316-348)
|Cast Member||with Mamamoo's Solar|
|tvN||Daddy and I
(June 2-June 30, Ep 1-5)
|SBS||Law of the Jungle in Mongolia
(October 7-October 28, Ep 234-237)
|MNET||Yang and Nam Show
|2017–present||MBC||Wizard of Nowhere
(Ep 15 - 35)
|2018–present||KBS2||Grandma's Restaurant in Samcheong-dong
Awards and nominations
|2017||Himself||Forbes 30 Under 30||Won|
|2016||Himself||GQ Korean Men of the Year||Won|
|2018||Grandma's Restaurant in Samcheong-dong||Best Newcomer Award - Variety||Won|
|2016||We Got Married||Best Couple (with Solar)||Won|
|2016||"Spring Love"||Best Collaboration (with Wendy)||Nominated|
|"Good For You"||Best Vocal Performance – Male Solo||Nominated|
- "Eric Nam named one of GQ Korea's 'Men of the Year'". SBS PopAsia. Retrieved 2019-02-17.
- "Eric Nam features in Forbes '30 Under 30 Asia' list". kpopherald.koreaherald.com. Retrieved 2019-02-17.
- "Korean Singer Eric Nam Discusses His Struggles With Racism In The United States". KpopStarz. 24 October 2015.
- Nam, Eric (14 January 2017). "Evening with Eric Nam". Boston College.
- Lee, Jinho (24 March 2016). "Eric Nam Talks About Being Called the ′Nation′s Boyfriend′". Mwave.
- Aran, Isha (30 June 2016). "Eric Nam could become the first K-pop artist to make it big in America". Splinter.
- Ho, Stewart (2012-09-25). "'The Great Birth 2's Eric Nam Joins Lee Hyori's B2M Entertainment". CJ E&M enewsWorld. Retrieved 2015-02-24.
- "Eric Nam warms up the season with 'Melt My Heart' MV". Allkpop. December 9, 2015.
- Danbi Hong, Grace (2015-03-05). "[Video] Eric Nam Insists He′s Alright in ′I′m OK′ MV". CJ E&M enewsWorld. Retrieved 2015-03-06.
- "Sweet Tune Collaborates with Eric Nam and 15&'s Park Ji-Min for Charity Project". Soompi. Retrieved 19 May 2015.
- "Eric Nam is 'Good For You' in his long-awaited comeback MV!". Allkpop.com. 2016-03-23. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "Red Velvet's Wendy and Eric Nam Featured in Next SM STATION Track". Soompi. 2016-03-02. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "'We Got Married' confirms Eric Nam & MAMAMOO's Solar as new couple, Kim So-Yeon & Kwak Si-Yang leaving". Allkpop.com. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- Herman, Tamar (January 27, 2017). "Tablo & Eric Nam Discuss Gallant Collab "Cave Me In"". Billboard. Retrieved February 4, 2017.
- "Eric Nam Plays a Sold Out show at Irving Plaza". AXS. Retrieved 2018-04-11.
- "Eric Nam Shares His 2018 Goals And Excitement For The PyeongChang Winter Olympics". Soompi. Retrieved 2018-04-11.
- "Eric Nam teaches Johnny Weir & Tara Lipinski about K-Pop at the 'Pyeongchang Olympics' on NBC!". Allkpop.com. Retrieved 2018-04-11.
- Herman, Tamar (April 11, 2018). "Eric Nam Releases Romantic Electro-Pop 'Honestly' EP". Billboard. Retrieved April 11, 2018.
- "Eric Nam Talks About Support He Received From BTS And Fellow Artists For New Album". Soompi. Retrieved 2018-04-11.
- "World Albums Chart EP". Billboard. April 29, 2018. Retrieved April 29, 2018.
- Herman, Tamar (5 April 2018). "K-Pop Star Eric Nam Announces 'Honestly' North American Tour". Billboard.
- "Eric Nam Wants to 'FLOAT' in New Song for 'Hotel Transylvania 3' Soundtrack: Premiere". Billboard. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (2018-07-15). "Why Dwayne Johnson Pic 'Skyscraper' Went Up In Flames At The B.O. With $25M+". Deadline. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- "Loote & Eric Nam Team Up For Epic 'Your Side of the Bed' Remix: Listen". Billboard. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- "Eric Nam To Fire Up Indonesia With His Performance On "We The Fest 2018!"". hellokpop. 2018-06-14. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- Sung-mi, Ahn. "Singer Eric Nam leaves 'After School Club'". K-POP Herald. K-POP Herald. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- C, Hong. "Eric Nam And Solar Say Goodbye To 'We Got Married' In The Language Of Flowers". Soompi. Soompi. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "[DAY컷] '배틀트립' 오늘 에릭남 스페셜MC…이지혜·붐 극과극 리액션". sports.donga.com (in Korean). 7 April 2018. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eric Nam.|