Eric Olsen (American football)
Olsen with the New Orleans Saints
June 16, 1988 |
Staten Island, New York
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||306 lb (139 kg)|
|High school:||Brooklyn (NY) Poly Prep|
|NFL Draft:||2010 / Round: 6 / Pick: 183|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career NFL statistics|
Eric Olsen (born June 16, 1988) is an American football offensive guard who is currently a free agent. He was drafted by the Denver Broncos in sixth round of the 2010 NFL Draft. He played collegiately for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. He has also been a member of the Washington Redskins, Pittsburgh Steelers, and New Orleans Saints.
Olsen attended Poly Prep Country Day School in Brooklyn, New York, where he was both an offensive tackle as well as a defensive end. At offensive tackle, he was never charged with a sack to his quarterback. As a defensive end, he recorded 53 tackles, 8 sacks and forced 3 fumbles.
Olsen played in 44 games during his four years at the University of Notre Dame. He started the last 31 of those games. During his junior and senior years combined he only allowed four quarterbacks sacks.
He was also a member of the first Seligman fraternity pledge class at Amherst College in Massachusetts. Olsen continues to be an active brother and attends annual Seligmania events.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||40‑yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20‑ss||3‑cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 4 in
|32 1⁄2 in
|5.25 s||1.87 s||3.03 s||4.82 s||7.50 s||29 1⁄2 in
|8 ft 09 in
|All values from NFL Combine|
Olsen was projected to be drafted in the fifth or sixth round during the 2010 NFL Draft. He was one of the top performers at the bench press, vertical jump and the 3-cone drill. Olsen was drafted by the Denver Broncos in the sixth round (183rd overall). He was expected to compete with J. D. Walton for the starting center job for the Broncos. He was waived by the Broncos September 3, 2011.
Olsen spent the 2011 season on Washington's practice squad.
New Orleans Saints
He remained with New Orleans for the 2012 season, playing in all 16 games and starting 4 as a blocking tight end. In 2013 was placed on injured reserve during training camp, and later released.
He signed with the Steelers but did not play during the regular season.
Second stint with Saints
The Saints brought Olsen back for a second stint with the team on October 22, 2014. He was expected to provide additional depth on the line after an injury to Jonathan Goodwin meant that backup center Tim Lelito would be starting. He was released on November 12, 2014.
Second stint with Titans
Olsen returned to the Titans after they signed him on November 25, 2014.
Olsen has one brother, Drew, a former safety at Gettysburg College. His father, Andy Olsen, was a New York City firefighter. Just three days before the 9/11 attacks, his father was promoted to Lieutenant. Therefore, he was in officer training on September 11, and not with Ladder 80, his firehouse at the time. When his father finally arrived at the World Trade Center site, both towers had already collapsed. A few days later, when he was digging through the rubble, his father found a truck from his firehouse buried and destroyed. None of the firefighters in that particular unit survived .
- "Player Bio: Eric Olsen - University of Notre Dame Official Athletics Site". Und.com. 1988-06-16. Retrieved 2010-05-01.
- "– Official Website Of The Denver Broncos". Denverbroncos.com. Retrieved 2010-05-01.
- "Eric Olsen Draft Profile", NFLDraftScout.com, retrieved May 4, 2009
- "Draft 2010 Center Draft Prospects". NFLDraftScout.com. Retrieved 2010-05-04.
- "NFL.com Combine Player Profile: Eric Olsen". NFL.com. Retrieved 2010-05-04.
- Jones, Mike (January 2, 2012). "Saints sign Redskins practice squad lineman Eric Olsen". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- "Eric Olsen released by Tennessee", CBSSports.com, August 29, 2014.
- Triplett, Mike (October 23, 2014). "Eric Olsen glad to be back with Saints". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- "Saints bring Eric Olsen back to the team", Profootballtalk.com, October 22, 2014.
- New Orleans Saints waive reserve center Eric Olsen
- Titans Waive Shaun Phillips; Place Brian Schwenke on IR
- "Browns sign OL Eric Olsen, LB Mike Reilly". ClevelandBrowns.com. May 26, 2015. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- "Cleveland Browns reduce roster to 53". ClevelandBrowns.com. September 5, 2015. Retrieved September 25, 2015.
- Legwold, Jeff (2010-05-03). "Memory of 9/11 hits Broncos rookie 24/7". Denverpost.com. Retrieved 2010-05-04.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eric Olsen (American football).|