Eric Owen Moss
|Eric Owen Moss|
July 25, 1943 |
Los Angeles, California, United States
|Alma mater||UCLA, UC Berkeley, Harvard University|
|Awards||Austrian Decoration for Science and Art|
|Practice||Eric Owen Moss Architects (EOMA)|
Moss was born in Los Angeles, California in 1943. He received a Bachelor of Arts from the University of California, Los Angeles in 1965, his Masters of Architecture from the University of California, Berkeley, College of Environmental Design in 1968 and a second Masters of Architecture from Harvard University Graduate School of Design in 1972. Moss taught at Southern California Institute of Architecture (SCI-Arc) in 1974 and was appointed director in 2002. He has held chairs at Yale and Harvard universities, and appointments at the University of Applied Arts Vienna and the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts in Copenhagen.
Moss received an Academy Award in Architecture from the American Academy of Arts and Letters in 1999. He was awarded the 2001 AIA/LA Gold Medal for his architectural work as well as the Business Week/Architectural Record Award in 2003 for the design and construction of the Stealth project, Culver City, California. He is a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects and received the Distinguished Alumni Award for the University of California at Berkeley in 2003. Moss received the 2007 Arnold Brunner Memorial Prize from the American Academy of Arts and Letters. In 2011, he was awarded the Jencks Award, given each year to an architect who has made a major contribution to theory and practice of architecture by the Royal Institute of British Architects. In 2016, Moss was awarded the Austrian Decoration for Science and Art.
Projects and competitions
The firm, referred to also as EOMA, is known for its sculptural work in addition to architectural work — including in 2009 a large, ribboned sculpture at SCI-Arc and at Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), the work entitled The Caterpillar.
- 2002, competition, St. Petersburg, Russia, for the New Mariinsky Theatre
- 2002, competition, St. Petersburg, Russia, for redevelopment of New Holland
- 2003, competition for the Queens Museum of Art in New York
- 2006, competition, City of the Future competition
- Gateway Art Tower, Culver City, described by Fredrick Smith as "a poor man's Eiffel Tower."
- Glass Tower, Culver City, planned, at La Cienega and Jefferson Boulevards, Los Angeles 
- Competition, Shenzhen, China, Technology University Campus Design
There are twenty published monographs on the work of Moss' office.
- The New City: I’ll See It When I Believe It, preface by Frank Gehry, essays by Jean-Louis Cohen, Jeffrey Kipnis, Thom Mayne, Wolf D. Prix, Michael Sorkin, Rizzoli, New York, 2016.
- Todd Gannon (ed.), Eric Owen Moss Architects/3585: Source Books in Architecture 9, Applied Research + Design Publishing, San Francisco, 2016.
- Eric Owen Moss, Coughing Up the Moon, SCI-Arc Press + AADCU, Los Angeles and Beijing, 2015.
- Eric Owen Moss: I Maestri dell’Architettura, Hachette, France, 2012.
- Eric Owen Moss, Again, Who Says?, SCI-Arc Press, Los Angeles, 2012.
- Eric Owen Moss, Eric Owen Moss: Construction Manual 1988-2008, AADCU, Beijing, September 2009.
- Eric Owen Moss, Who Says What Architecture Is?, SCI-Arc Press, Los Angeles, November 2007.
- Emilia Giorgi, Paradigmi Provvisori, Marsilio, Venice, 2007.
- Paola Giaconia, Eric Owen Moss. The Uncertainty of Doing, Skira, Milan 2006.
- Eric Owen Moss: Buildings and Projects 3, Rizzoli, New York 2002.
- Eric Owen Moss, Gnostic Architecture, Monacelli, New York 1999.
- Luca Rivalta, Eric Owen Moss, Edil Stampa, Italy, March 2002.
- Preston Scott Cohen, Brooke Hodge (eds.), Eric Owen Moss. The Box, Princeton Architectural Press, New York 1996.
- Eric Owen Moss. Buildings and Projects 2, Rizzoli, New York 1995.
- James Steele, Lawson-Westen House (Architecture in Detail), Phaidon Press, London 1995.
- Eric Owen Moss. Architectural Monographs, n. 29, Academy Editions, London 1993.
- Eric Owen Moss. Buildings and Projects, Rizzoli, New York 1991.
- Olivier Boissiere, Eric Owen Moss Architecte: Lindblade Tower & Paramount Laundry, Les Editions du Demi-cercle, Paris, Spring 1990.
- "Eric Owen Moss wants to piece together L.A.'s fragments". The Los Angeles Times, Scott Timberg, August 2, 2009. August 2, 2009.
- "Eric Owen Moss Architects: If Not Now, When?". Southern California Institute of Architecture, May 2009.
- "Eric Owen Moss". KMP Furniture,.
- "SCI-Arc, Building a Future with Eric Owen Moss". Other LA. Retrieved 8 September 2016.
- Furuto, Alison. "2011 Jencks Award: Eric Owen Moss". Arch Daily. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- "Eric Owen Moss Honored with Austrian Decoration of Honor for Science and Art". SCI-Arc. Retrieved 27 June 2016.
- Interview with Eric Owen Moss at Archinect.com
- Interview with Eric Owen Moss at Archdaily.com
- A selective bibliography on Eric Owen Moss
- Interview to Eric Owen Moss by Leon Whiteson
- Interview to Enrique Norten (TEN Arquitectos), Eric Owen Moss (Eric Owen Moss Architects), James Corner (Field Operations): "To Build a Fence"
- ARCH'IT article "To the Ice Sculptors"
- ARCH'IT article on Mariinsky Cultural Center/New Holland
- ARCH'IT article on Mariinsky Cultural Center/New Mariinsky Theater
- Eric Owen Moss Architects homepage