Eric Joseph Durdaller
February 16, 1961
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Occupation||Screenwriter, film director|
Eric Red (born Eric Joseph Durdaller; February 16, 1961) is an American screenwriter and director, best known for writing the horror films The Hitcher and Near Dark, as well as writing and directing Cohen and Tate.
The first film written by Red was Gunmen's Blues, a short he produced and directed while a student at the AFI Conservatory. He went broke trying to get national distribution for the film and had to drive a cab in New York City for a year to recoup.
His AFI thesis script, The Hitcher, was produced in 1986. A major studio remake of The Hitcher was released in 2007 with Red as a consultant. From the '80s through the '00s, his subsequent produced screenplays were Near Dark, Cohen and Tate, Blue Steel, Body Parts, The Last Outlaw, Undertow, Bad Moon and 100 Feet.
The first feature film directed by Red was Cohen and Tate in 1987. He subsequently directed the films Body Parts (1990), Undertow (1995), Bad Moon (1996) and 100 Feet (2008).
Eric Red published his first novel, Don't Stand So Close, in 2011. His six subsequent published novels are The Guns of Santa Sangre, The Wolves of El Diablo, It Waits Below, Noose, Hanging Fire and White Knuckle.
Fatal car crash
Red was found to be at fault in a car accident that caused two deaths after he allegedly lost consciousness and crashed his truck into a crowded bar in Los Angeles on May 31, 2000. After the accident, Red apparently exited his vehicle and attempted suicide by slitting his own throat with a piece of broken glass. Red survived the incident, was taken to the hospital under an alias and was released weeks later. No criminal charges were brought against Red, but a jury in a civil suit awarded monetary damages. The suit, which awarded over a million dollars to the families of the two men killed in the accident, was appealed to state and federal courts, which confirmed the original jury finding.
- Gunmen's Blues, writer/director (1981)
- The Hitcher, writer (1986)
- Telephone, writer/director (1986)
- Near Dark, writer (1987)
- Cohen and Tate, writer/director (1989)
- Blue Steel, writer (1990)
- Body Parts, writer/director (1991)
- The Last Outlaw, writer (1993)
- Undertow, writer/director (1996)
- Bad Moon, writer/director (1996)
- 100 Feet, writer/director (2008)
- Night of the Wild, director (TV movie, 2015)
- "Eric Red". The New York Times. Retrieved May 26, 2012.
- "Eric Red Biography". filmreference.com. Retrieved May 26, 2012.
- staff (March 30, 2001). "Interview with Eric Red". Buried.com. Archived from the original on January 14, 2016. Retrieved August 21, 2011.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "Eric Red Biography". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved August 21, 2011.
- EyeForFilm.co.uk -Interview with Eric Red about 100 Feet and Nightlife
- Permanent (advert free) memorial site with mapping and details of road accidents Roadside Markers
- LA Weekly story: Death Race 2000, by Paul Cullum 01-13-2006, LA Weekly