|Born||Eric Joseph Durdaller
February 16, 1961
|Occupation||Screenwriter, film director|
The first film written by Red was Gunmen's Blues, a short he produced and directed while a student at the AFI Conservatory. He went broke trying to get national distribution for the film and had to drive a cab in New York for a year to recoup.
His AFI thesis script, The Hitcher, was produced in 1986. A major studio remake of The Hitcher was released in 2007 with Red as a consultant. He wrote the original script to Lost Boys: The Tribe and narrated the film at the 2010 Screamfest Horror Film Festival in Los Angeles.
Eric Red published his first novel, Don't Stand So Close, in 2011.
Fatal car crash
Red was found to be at fault in a car accident that caused two deaths after he drove his truck into a crowded bar in Los Angeles on May 31, 2000. After the accident, Red apparently exited his vehicle, and attempted suicide by slitting his throat with a piece of broken glass. Red survived the incident.
- Gunmen's Blues, writer/director (1981)
- The Hitcher, writer (1986)
- Telephone, writer/director (1986)
- Near Dark, writer (1987)
- Cohen and Tate, writer/director (1989)
- Blue Steel, writer (1989)
- Body Parts, writer/director (1991)
- The Last Outlaw, writer (1993)
- Bad Moon, writer/director (1996)
- Undertow, writer/director (1996)
- 100 Feet, writer/director (2008)
- Night of the Wild, director (2015)
- "Eric Red". The New York Times. Retrieved May 26, 2012.
- "Eric Red Biography". filmreference.com. Retrieved May 26, 2012.
- staff (March 30, 2001). "Interview with Eric Red". Buried.com. Retrieved August 21, 2011.
- "Eric Red Biography". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved August 21, 2011.
- EyeForFilm.co.uk -Interview with Eric Red about 100 Feet and Nightlife
- "Check out Eric Red's Original Lost Boys Prequel Script".
- "Screamfest Hosts a Screening of The Hitcher in LA this Wednesday with Writer and Director".
- Roadside Markers Permanent (advert free) memorial site with mapping and details of road accidents
- LA Weekly story – Death Race