Dr. Eric Reeves (born 1950) professor emeritus of English Language and Literature at Smith College in Northampton, Massachusetts, where he taught courses in Shakespeare, Milton, and the history of literary theory and the history of literacy. Before coming to Smith, he received degrees in English Literature from Williams College and the University of Pennsylvania.
He has spent the past nineteen working as a Sudan researcher and analyst. He has testified several times before the Congress, has lectured widely in academic settings, and has served as a consultant to a number of human rights and humanitarian organizations operating in Sudan. Working independently, he has written on several aspects of Sudan's recent history, in particular what he identifies as genocide in the Darfur region, and the role of the Sudanese and Chinese governments in perpetuating it. He was described as "a fierce critic" of former American President Barack Obama's policy of reconciliation with Sudan.
He received a generous grant from Humanity United (Redwood City, CA) to support his research and travel. A collection of his essays on ongoing war and human destruction in Darfur appeared as A Long Day's Dying (Key Publishing, 2007). More recently he published a lengthy eBook about five crucial years in the history of Sudan: "Compromising with Evil: An archival history of greater Sudan, 2007 - 2012" (www.CompromisingWithEvil.org). His work has appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, the Wall Street Journal, as well as numerous academic journals.This work has led to Reeves's receiving a number of honorary degrees, and many other forms of national and international recognition.
He is currently a Senior Fellow at Harvard University’s François-Xavier Bagnoud Center for Health and Human Rights.
- "Donald Trump ducks a decision on sanctions on Khartoum". The Economist. 13 July 2017. Retrieved 15 July 2017.
- Profile of Eric Reeves' work: http://www.sudanreeves.org/category/profiles-of-eric-reeves-work/
- March 2006 interview in Guernica magazine
- SudanReeves.org Recent writings on Darfur
- A Comprehensive Approach to Sudan: Eric Reeves, discusses the situation in Darfur, the failure to implement the Comprehensive Peace Agreement in Southern Sudan and brewing troubles in the East (01/26/06)
- January 10, 2007 interview on NPR's All Things Considered
|This biography of an American English academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|