|Born||March 22, 1945|
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Residence||Malibu, California, U.S.|
|Alma mater||University of California, Santa Barbara|
UCLA School of Theater, Film and Television
|Notable work||Forrest Gump|
The Good Shepherd
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
|Home town||Bedford–Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, New York, U.S.|
|Awards||Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay for Forrest Gump (1994)|
Laurel Award for Screenwriting Achievement (2012)
Eric R. Roth (born March 22, 1945) is an American screenwriter. He won the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay for Forrest Gump (1994). He also co-wrote the screenplays for several Oscar-nominated films: The Insider (1999), Munich (2005), The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008), and Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close (2012).
Early life and education
Roth was born in New York City, New York, into a Jewish family, the son of Miriam "Mimi", a teacher, studio executive, and radio writer, and Leon Roth, a university teacher and film producer. He grew up in Bedford–Stuyvesant, Brooklyn in New York. He grew up boxing and would credit some of his later successes to it.
Roth won the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay for Forrest Gump. He is known for writing his scripts in a DOS program without internet access as well as distributing the scripts only in hard copy formats. He followed his Academy Award win by co-writing screenplays for several Oscar-nominated films including The Insider, Munich, and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. While writing The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, he lost both of his parents and as a result views the film as "...my most personal movie."
Roth lives in Malibu, California. He is one of the investors defrauded by Bernard Madoff in a Ponzi Scheme via Stanley Chais. He stated that his losses were heavy and he has lost his retirement money, although the full extent is unknown. As a result of the fraud and the associated losses, Roth is suing the estate of Chais, who died on September 26, 2010. Roth is rumored to be writing a screenplay dealing with the Madoff-Chais scandal.
- The Nickel Ride (1974)
- The Concorde ... Airport '79 (1979)
- Suspect (1987)
- The Heights (1992) - co-creator
- Mr. Jones (1993) - co-writer
- Jane's House (1994)
- Forrest Gump (1994)
- The Postman (1997)
- The Horse Whisperer (1998)
- The Insider (1999)
- Ali (2001)
- Munich (2005)
- The Good Shepherd (2006)
- Lucky You (2007)
- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)
- Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (2011)
- Luck (2011-2012) - writer/executive producer
- House of Cards (2013) - executive producer
- Ellis (2015) - writer
- A Star Is Born (2018) - co-writer
- Dune (TBA) - writer
- "Profile: Eric Roth", filmreference.com
- Pfefferman, Naomi (January 26, 2012). "Writer's Guild to Honor 'Extremely' Talented Screenwriter Eric Roth". The Jewish Journal of Greater Los Angeles. Los Angeles. Retrieved July 30, 2016.
- Tallal, Jimy (April 11, 2015). "Salon Series Continues with Screenwriter Eric Roth". The Malibu Times. Malibu, California. Retrieved July 30, 2016.
- Tapley, Kristopher (September 22, 2014). "Did You Know: 'Forrest Gump' Screenwriter Eric Roth Uses A DOS Program To Write Scripts". HitFix. Retrieved July 30, 2016.
- Renée, V (September 24, 2014). "Oscar-Winning Screenwriter Eric Roth Takes You on a Tour of His Writing Process". NoFilmSchool.com. Retrieved July 30, 2016.
- Yamato, Jen (December 22, 2008). "RT INTERVIEW: ERIC ROTH CALLS BENJAMIN BUTTON HIS MOST PERSONAL FILM TO DATE". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved July 30, 2016.
- "Interview: Benjamin Button Writer Eric Roth". GamesRadar. January 28, 2009. Retrieved July 30, 2016.
- Reckard, E. Scott; Abramowitz, Rachel; Eller, Claudia (December 17, 2008). "Hollywood figures snared in Bernard Madoff's alleged fraud". LA Times.
- Standora, Leo (May 2, 2009). "Los Angeles investment manager Stanley Chais sued for funneling cash to Bernie Madoff fund". Daily News. New York.
- Perry, Spencer (April 17, 2017). "First Look at Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper in A Star is Born Remake". Comingsoon.net. Retrieved November 15, 2017.
- Kroll, Justin (April 5, 2017). "'Forrest Gump' Writer Eric Roth to Pen Denis Villeneuve's 'Dune' Reboot (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved November 15, 2017.