Eric Shansby, commonly known as Shansby, is an American cartoonist and children’s book illustrator. His cartoons appear in American news outlets, most prominently in The Washington Post alongside columns by humorist Gene Weingarten. Shansby is the illustrator of the children's book Me & Dog.
Shansby grew up in Silver Spring, Maryland. While a student at Montgomery Blair High School, Shansby met Washington Post writer Gene Weingarten when Weingarten gave a guest lecture in Shansby's journalism class. After Shansby's graduation, Weingarten asked him to illustrate "Below the Beltway," his humor column in the Washington Post Magazine. Shansby began drawing weekly cartoons for the magazine in 2004 as a freshman in college, succeeding cartoonist Richard Thompson, who was leaving to launch his comic strip, Cul de Sac.
Shansby illustrated the 2014 children’s book Me & Dog, a parable on atheism written by Weingarten. On the Kojo Nnamdi Show, Shansby identified himself as a “culturally Jewish, American atheist.”
- Me & Dog. Simon & Schuster, 2014. Written by Gene Weingarten and illustrated by Eric Shansby.
As Contributing Artist
- Compleating Cul de Sac. Thompson, Richard, et al. Team Cul de Sac and ComicsDC, 2015.
- Failure by Design: The Story Behind America’s Broken Economy. Bivens, Josh. Cornell University Press, 2011.
- World Politics in a New Era, 4th Edition. Spiegel, Steven L., et al. Oxford University Press, 2008.
- Best Editorial Cartoons of the Year 2007. Brooks, Charles (Ed.). Pelican Publishing, 2007.
- Best Editorial Cartoons of the Year 2006. Brooks, Charles (Ed.). Pelican Publishing, 2006.
- Best Editorial Cartoons of the Year 2005. Brooks, Charles (Ed.). Pelican Publishing, 2005.
- Best Editorial Cartoons of the Year 2004. Brooks, Charles (Ed.). Pelican Publishing, 2004.
- Profile of a Teen Cartoonist. Literary Cavalcade. February 2005.
- Weingarten, Gene. What's mightier, the pencil or the keyboard? Washington Post Magazine. February 8, 2004.
- On the Media: Me and Dog. WNYC. October 3, 2014.
- Gene Weingarten & Eric Shansby on Comedy and Collaboration. The Kojo Nnamdi Show. September 18, 2014.
- Eric Shansby. Yale Daily News. January 19, 2007.
|This profile of an American cartoonist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|