Tangradi as a member of the Jets in 2013.
February 10, 1989 |
Philadelphia, PA, USA
|Height||6 ft 4 in (193 cm)|
|Weight||221 lb (100 kg; 15 st 11 lb)|
|NHL Draft||42nd overall, 2007
Eric Tangradi (born February 10, 1989) is an American professional ice hockey left winger currently playing for the Montreal Canadiens of the National Hockey League. He was selected 42nd overall in the 2nd round of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft by the Anaheim Ducks.
Tangradi, originally from the Philadelphia area, played High School Hockey for Archbishop Carroll and won a Pennsylvania State AA Championship in 2004 over 2-time champions Peters Township and played one season for Wyoming Seminary Prep School in Kingston, PA.
He played three seasons of junior hockey with the Belleville Bulls of the Ontario Hockey League. In 2008, Tangradi was named captain of the Bulls team. In 2008-09, Tangradi had a break-out junior season, posting 38 goals and 88 points in just 55 games. During the season on December 9, 2008, he was also signed to a three-year entry-level deal with the Anaheim Ducks.
On February 26, 2009, Tangradi was traded along with Anaheim Ducks forward Chris Kunitz to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for defenseman Ryan Whitney. Tangradi was named the Boston Pizza OHL & CHL Player of the Week for the week ending April 12. Tangradi at seasons end was named the Belleville Bulls Humanitarian of the Year, Most Outstanding Forward, and Top Scorer.
Tangradi tallied his first professional point in his first professional game in the AHL with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins on October 3, 2009 against the Syracuse Crunch. He assisted on a Wyatt Smith goal in the second period. He later scored his first professional goal in the AHL on November 11, 2009 against Jean-Philippe Lamoureux of the Portland Pirates. Off of the following face-off, Tangradi entered his first professional fight taking on Kyle Rank.
Tangradi made his NHL debut during the last game of the season, on April 11, 2010 against the New York Islanders.
The following season, Tangradi made the NHL club out of training camp. On October 11, 2010, Tangradi scored his first NHL point against the New Jersey Devils assisting on an Alex Goligoski goal. On October 15, 2010, Tangradi scored his first NHL goal against goaltender Rick DiPietro of the New York Islanders. After being re-assigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on December 8, 2010, Tangradi scored his first professional hat trick against goalies Jussi Rynnas and Ben Scrivens of the Toronto Marlies.
During a February 11, 2011, game vs. the New York Islanders Tangradi was a victim of an elbow to the head by forward Trevor Gillies. Gillies was suspended 9 games for the hit. Tangradi was sidelined for two months, due to concussion symptoms. On January 13, 2012, Tangradi picked up his first NHL fighting major when he took on Erik Gudbranson of the Florida Panthers. On April 18, 2012, Tangradi tallied his first NHL playoff point against his hometown Philadelphia Flyers, assisting on a Jordan Staal goal. Tangradi's legacy with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins is that he is ninth on W-B/S' all-time goals list with 60 in 178 games.
Tangradi scored his first goal as a Winnipeg Jet on March 7, 2013 against the Tampa Bay Lightning's Anders Lindback. Tangradi played his first full season at the NHL level with Winnipeg in 2013-14 where he assumed a fourth-line left wing role.
Awards and honors
- Tangradi was a member of the United States team in the 2009 World Junior Hockey Championships.
- Tangradi was named the Reebok/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending Dec. 12, 2010.
- Named to the 2011 AHL All-Star game.
- "NHL Entry Draft Year by Year Results". National Hockey League.
- "Barn Hockey Profile". Barn Hockey. Sep 2008.
- Yohe, Josh (Sep 2011). "Penguins' Tangradi more comfortable, confident". Pittsburgh Tribune Review.
- Rosten, Tyler (Aug 2012). "Tangradi Sees Chance To Stick Up Top". Official Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins.
- "NHL Slaps Godard with 10-game suspension, Gillies gets nine". Feb 2011.
- Molinari, Dave (Feb 2011). "Penguins Notebook: Tangradi isn't sure about severity of injury". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- "WBS PENGUINS: Tangradi dealt to Winnipeg". Feb 2013.
- "Penguins GM Shero still pondering approach to the draft". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. June 26, 2013. Retrieved June 28, 2013.
- Peters, Chris (5 October 2014). "Jets acquire G Peter Budaj in three-player trade with Canadiens". cbssports.com. Retrieved 5 October 2014.