|Born||Eric Norman Thompson
9 November 1929
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, England
|Died||30 November 1982
Camden, London, England
|Spouse(s)||Phyllida Law (m. 1957–82) (his death)|
Eric Norman Thompson (9 November 1929 – 30 November 1982) was an English actor, television presenter and producer. He is best remembered for narrating The Magic Roundabout, which he adapted from the French original Le Manège Enchanté.
Life and career
Thompson was born in Sleaford, Lincolnshire, England, the son of Annie (née Jackson) and George Henry Thompson, and grew up Rudgwick, Sussex, attending Collyer's School, Horsham. He trained to be an actor at the Old Vic acting school in London and joined the Old Vic theatre company in 1952.
He worked regularly for the BBC, and was a presenter of the children's television programme Play School from 1964-67. He was best known as the narrator of The Magic Roundabout, for which he wrote the English language scripts, using the visuals from the French Le Manège Enchanté. These were transmitted between October 1965 and January 1977. His daughter Emma Thompson has noted his influence on her career, saying "his humour and his rigour, a self-taught man, who loved words and loved the use of words and how they worked. Everything about that was hugely influential." Thompson rarely worked on television after his voice became well-known, but occasionally appeared in programmes such as Doctor Who in the serial The Massacre of St Bartholomew's Eve in 1966.
On 30 November 1982 Thompson died of a pulmonary embolism in London three weeks after his 53rd birthday.
- Stevens, Christopher (2010). Born Brilliant: The Life of Kenneth Williams. John Murray. p. 401. ISBN 1-84854-195-3.
- "Eric Thompson Biography (1929-1982)". filmreference.com. 2014. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Eric Thompson". The Scotsman. 31 March 2006. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Emma Thompson: A Life in Pictures". BAFTA Guru. 24 November 2013. Retrieved 17 August 2015.
- "Phyllida Law Biography (1932-)". filmreference.com. 2014. Retrieved 4 October 2014.