Eric A. Youngstrom
|Born||December 28, 1968|
St. Louis, MO, United States
|Nationality||United States of America|
|Alma mater||University of Delaware - M.A., Ph.D. Emory University - B.A.|
|Known for||His research on bipolar disorder in children, evidence-based assessment in psychology|
|Fields||Clinical psychologist, Psychological Assessment, Bipolar Disorder|
|Institutions||University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill|
|Doctoral advisor||Carroll E. Izard, Ph.D.|
Eric Arden Youngstrom, Ph.D. is an American clinical child and adolescent psychologist, professor of psychology and neuroscience, and psychiatry, at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He is currently the acting director of the Center for Excellence of Research and Treatment of Bipolar Disorder. His research focuses on evidence-based assessment, and assessment of bipolar disorder across the life span.
Dr. Youngstrom is internationally noted for his research in evidence-based assessment and research on the assessment, phenomenology, and course of illness for youths with bipolar disorder. He has also developed or co-developed several self- and parent-report psychological measures, including the parent version of the General Behavior Inventory and the 7 Up 7 Down Inventory.
Professional roles and memberships
Dr. Youngstrom was the inaugural recipient of the Early Career Award from the Society of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology. Dr. Youngstrom is a Fellow of the American Psychological Association, the Association for Psychological Science, and the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapy. He is also an elected full member of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology. He was president of the Society of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology in 2016, and is the current president of the society in 2018.
Dr. Youngstrom has also consulted on the fifth revision of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM-5) and the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11). He chairs the Work Group on Child Diagnosis for the International Society for Bipolar Disorders.
- Hill, The University of North Carolina at Chapel. "Welcome! - Eric A. Youngstrom, Ph.D." Eric A. Youngstrom, Ph.D.
- "UNC Creates Center for Bipolar Research, Treatment - UNC General Alumni Association". alumni.unc.edu. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- "Eric Youngstrom Ph.D. This Emotional Life". thisemotionallife.org. Retrieved 31 October 2016.
- "Eric Youngstrom". CREST.BD.
- "Myths and Realities About Bipolar Disorder". American Psychological Association. October 23, 2012. Retrieved December 17, 2017.
Five questions for bipolar disorder expert Eric Youngstrom, PhD
- Youngstrom, EA; Murray, G; Johnson, SL; Findling, RL (December 2013). "The 7 up 7 down inventory: a 14-item measure of manic and depressive tendencies carved from the General Behavior Inventory". Psychological Assessment. 25 (4): 1377–83. doi:10.1037/a0033975. PMC 3970320. PMID 23914960.
- "Division 53 Division Fellows". www.clinicalchildpsychology.org.
- "Association for Psychological Science: APS Fellows". www.psychologicalscience.org. Retrieved 18 August 2016.