Erie Township, Michigan
|Erie Township, Michigan|
Dixie Highway facing north, just south of Manhattan Street
Location of Erie Township within Monroe County.
|• Total||29.6 sq mi (76.6 km2)|
|• Land||23.7 sq mi (61.4 km2)|
|• Water||5.9 sq mi (15.2 km2)|
|Elevation||584 ft (178 m)|
|• Density||190.4/sq mi (73.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626245|
Erie Township is a civil township of Monroe County in the U.S. state of Michigan Within the Toledo Metropolitan Area. The population was 4,517 at the 2010 census. The township is served by Mason Consolidated Schools. The city of Luna Pier sits outside the northeast corner of the township. The township is also home to the unincorporated community of Erie, situated at the intersection of Erie Rd and M-125.
Erie was started in 1790 by Métis moving south from Monroe. Early on, a log church named St. Joseph sur la baie Miami was built here. Father Gabriel Richard often would conduct Mass here. When a post office was established here in 1827, it was given the name of Bay Settlement.
- Erie is an unincorporated community located in the Northwest portion of the township.
- Lost Peninsula is an unincorporated community located at Lake Erie. Lost Peninsula is located on the northernmost point of the Point Place Peninsula. The Toledo, Ohio neighborhood of Point Place borders Lost Peninsula to the south. The Point Place neighborhood makes up the majority of the Point Place Peninsula. in the Southeast portion of the township along the shore of the North Maumee Bay and
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 29.7 square miles (77 km2), of which 24.1 square miles (62 km2) is land and 5.6 square miles (15 km2) (18.74%) is water. Erie Township also has jurisdiction over the Lost Peninsula and joint control with Toledo, Ohio over Turtle Island in Lake Erie.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,850 people, 1,789 households, and 1,343 families residing in the township. The population density was 201.1 per square mile (77.7/km²). There were 1,917 housing units at an average density of 79.5 per square mile (30.7/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 95.32% White, 1.01% African American, 0.60% Native American, 0.21% Asian, 1.42% from other races, and 1.44% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.29% of the population.
There were 1,789 households out of which 34.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.3% were married couples living together, 9.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.9% were non-families. 20.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.71 and the average family size was 3.13.
In the township the population was spread out with 27.1% under the age of 18, 7.3% from 18 to 24, 30.0% from 25 to 44, 25.1% from 45 to 64, and 10.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 102.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.6 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $52,442, and the median income for a family was $59,089. Males had a median income of $46,810 versus $27,900 for females. The per capita income for the township was $21,494. About 4.5% of families and 5.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.0% of those under age 18 and 5.4% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Erie Township, Michigan
- Romig 1986, p. 185.
- Romig, Walter (October 1, 1986) . Michigan Place Names: The History of the Founding and the Naming of More Than Five Thousand Past and Present Michigan Communities. Great Lakes Books Series (Paperback). Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 978-0-8143-1838-6.
||Ida Township||La Salle Township||Monroe Charter Township|
|Bedford Township|| Pelee
Lake Erie / Put-in-Bay Township
|Toledo||Washington Township||Lake Erie / Jerusalem Township|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Erie Township, Michigan.|