Erik Jensen (actor)
|Residence||New York City, New York|
Jessica Blank (m. 2001)
Erik Jensen is an American actor and playwright.
An actor, writer, director, and producer, Jensen has had over a hundred roles on television, film, and stage, most notably as legendary Thurman Munson of the New York Yankees in the ESPN miniseries The Bronx Is Burning. He portrayed Dr. Stephen Edwards on The Walking Dead, plays conspiracy theorist Frank Cody on Mr. Robot, and appeared alongside Aasif Mandvi in the Pulitzer Prize-winning production of Ayad Akhtars Disgraced at Lincoln Center. He also appeared as legendary rock critic Lester Bangs in the critically acclaimed "How to Be A Rock Critic" at The Public Theater in New York City.
In spring 2015, Erik portrayed gonzo rock critic Lester Bangs in "How to Be a Rock Critic" (co-written with Jessica Blank) at Center Theater Group in Los Angeles. The production also had a run at Chicago's Steppenwolf Theater.
In 2017 he co-directed the film Almost Home with Jessica Blank based on her novel of the same name.
Erik co-wrote the critically acclaimed play The Exonerated with his wife, Jessica Blank. It ran in Off Broadway in New York City for nearly two years.The play is based on interviews they conducted with more than 40 exonerated death row inmates. In 2002, it was staged at The Actors' Gang Theater. It was nominated for five Ovation Awards and three NAACP Awards, winning the Ovation for Best World Premiere Play. Bob Balaban's production of The Exonerated ran for more than 600 performances off-Broadway and toured nationally.
The Exonerated was made into a 2005 film for Court TV and was produced internationally in Dublin, Edinburgh, London, Japan, Mexico, and Italy. The Exonerated won the 2003 Drama Desk, Lucille Lortel, Outer Critics Circle, Fringe First, and Herald Angel Awards. It received awards from Amnesty International, the American Bar Association, the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, and Death Penalty Focus. It has been translated into French, Italian, Japanese, and Spanish. Jensen and Blank wrote a second documentary play, Aftermath, which was produced Off-Broadway in 2009, and are developing a film based on Blank's novel Almost Home. His writing has also been published in magazines and journals including The Believer, The Dramatist, Another Magazine, and Theatre History Studies.
Living Justice, Blank and Jensen’s book on the making of The Exonerated, was published in 2005 by Simon and Schuster.
Blank and Jensen also co-wrote the documentary play Aftermath based on interviews they conducted in 2008 with Iraqi civilian refugees in Jordan. Blank directed Aftermath off-Broadway at New York Theater Workshop in 2009; it was nominated for two Drama League awards and toured internationally for two years.
Blank and Jensen co-wrote "How to Be a Rock Critic" based on the writings of famed gonzo rock journalist Lester Bangs. It received critical acclaim from Rolling Stone, The New Yorker, Billboard and other publications for the 2018 Public Theater production.
Erik authored and co-created the graphic novel "The Reconcilers" which was published in 2010 by Viking Warrior press.
- 1991: Dead and Alive: The Race for Gus Farace as Boat Owner
- 1992: What She Doesn't Know as Thug
- 1993: The Dark Half as Male Student
- 1993: Striking Distance as Kid on Steps
- 1995: A Horse for Danny as Mooner
- 1995: Inflammable as Roland Fantaine
- 1996: Ripe as Dave
- 1996: Twisted as Man Who Kills Can Man
- 1997: Colin Fitz as Dean
- 1997: Julian Po as Tyler
- 1998: Anima
- 1998: Montana as Karl
- 1998: Above Freezing as Richie
- 1998: Arresting Gena as Stevie
- 1999: The Love Letter as Ray
- 1999: Cherry as Man #3
- 2000: Brooklyn Sonnet as Frankie the Snake
- 2000: Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 as Stoner #2
- 2001: Black Knight as Derek
- 2002: The Year That Trembled as Todd Franklin
- 2002: Heartbreak Hospital as HH Producer
- 2003: Undermind as Ian Waye
- 2004: Messengers as David Richards
- 2005: The Exonerated as Jeff
- 2005: Hitler, Stalin & Walter O'Malley as Jules (short film)
- 2005: The Naked Brothers Band: The Movie as Photographer
- 2006: The House Is Burning as Carl
- 2006: Sup 2down as Ewan
- 2007: Serial as Gary Whitlock
- 2007: Game of Life as Larry
- 2008: Quality Time as Tucker (short film)
- 2008: The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 as Video Store Manager Phil
- 2009: Speed Grieving as Scott (voice) (short film)
- 2009: Stream as Marco (short film)
- 2009: Virtuality as Dr. Jules Braun
- 2011: The Loop as Bearded Man
- 2011: Gun Hill as Tommy Griffin
- 1994: Law & Order as George Harding (1 episode - "Grief")
- 1995: Central Park West as Jeffrey (1 episode - "Lunar Eclipse")
- 1996: Swift Justice as Mutrix (1 episode - "Pilot")
- 1997: Dellaventura (1 episode - "Hell's Kitchen")
- 1998: Law & Order as Joey Springfield (1 episode - "Coma")
- 1998: The Last Don II as Frankie Lips (miniseries)
- 2000-2001: Deadline as Feldman (3 episodes - "Just Lie Back", "Perception", and "Pilot")
- 2002: Third Watch as Larry (1 episode - "Transformed")
- 2003-2007: CSI: Crime Scene Investigation as A.D.A. Jeffrey Sinclair (7 episodes)
- 2004: Strong Medicine as Gaby's Father (1 episode - The Real World Rittenhouse")
- 2004: Alias as Philip Terrance (1 episode - in "Blood Ties")
- 2004: Century City as Randolph Clemens (1 episode - in "The Face Was Familiar")
- 2005: Rescue Me as Ringmaster (1 episode - in "Happy")
- 2006: Love Monkey as Jeff (8 episodes)
- 2007: The Bronx Is Burning as Thurman Munson (8 episodes)
- 2007: Law & Order: Criminal Intent as Boyd (1 episode - "Renewal")
- 2008: New Amsterdam as Durst (1 episode - "Honor")
- 2009: The Good Wife as Josh Baldwin (1 episode - in "Conjugal")
- 2010: Past Life as Patrick (1 episode - "Regressing Henry")
- 2010: Gravity as Ralph (6 episodes)
- 2010: Law & Order: Criminal Intent as Richard Celeste (1 episode - "Palimsest")
- 2010: Drop Dead Diva (1 episode - "A Mother's Secret")
- 2011: Lie to Me as Wayne (1 episode - "Funhouse")
- 2011: NCIS: Los Angeles as FBI Agent Landon Frisbee (1 episode - "Archangel")
- 2011: Leverage as John Connell (1 episode - "The Carnival Job")
- 2011: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia as Walter Harris (1 episode - in "Frank Reynolds' Little Beauties")
- 2014: Blue Bloods as Jimmy (1 episode - "The Bogeyman")
- 2014: The Walking Dead as Dr. Steven Edwards Season 5 (Recurring; 3 episodes)
- 2014: Person of Interest as Walter Dang (1 episode - "Pretenders")
- 2015: The Blacklist as Francis King (1 episode - "T. Earl King VI (No. 94)")
- 2016-2017: Mr. Robot as Frank Cody (8 episodes)
- 2018: Law & Order: Special Victims Unit as James Turner (1 episode - "Send in the Clowns")
- 2018: Quantico as Damon Grosch (1 episode - "Fear and Flesh")
- The Exonerated (writer; co-wrote with Jessica Blank)
- Y2K by Arthur Kopit (Manhattan Theater Club)
- Corpus Christi by Terrence McNally (Manhattan Theater Club)
- Spain (Manhattan Class Company)
- Schmucks as Lenny Bruce (Wilma Theater, Philadelphia)
- "Disgraced" by Ayad Akhtar (Lincoln Center) Pulitzer Prize 2014
- "How to Be a Rock Critic" (co-writer with Jessica Blank) Center Theater Group, Kirk Douglas Theater
- "Actor's path to silver screen started on Apple Valley stage | ECM Archives". archives.ecmpublishers.com. Retrieved 2016-01-21.
- The Actors Gang: The Exonerated Archived 2012-01-12 at the Wayback Machine.
- Monterey Media: The Exonerated - DVD - Brian Dennehy, Danny Glover, Susan Sarandon
- The Exonerated at Liberty Hall Theatre - 2006 (archive) Dublin Theatre Festival, Dublin
- Gardner, Lyn (2005-08-11). "The Exonerated". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 2010-05-06.
- The British Theatre Guide: The Exonerated in London Archived 2012-02-07 at the Wayback Machine.
- Erik Jensen on IMDb
- Billboard Magazine article on Jensen as Lester Bangs in "How to Be A Rock Critic"
- "How to Be A Rock Critic" review, The New Yorker
- "How to Be A Rock Critic" review, Rolling Stone
- Greil Marcus' "How To Be A Rock Critic" Review: Real Life Rock Top Ten, Village Voice
- "How to Be A Rock Critic" review quotes- Boston, Arts Emerson
- "How to Be A Rock Critic" review Boston, Cape Cod Times
- Rolling Stone article on Jensen and Blanks Lester Bangs play "How to Be A Rock Critic"
- "How to Be A Rock Critic" Boston Globe Article on Jensen/Blank team, Arts Emerson
- "How to Be A Rock Critic" Boston Globe review, Arts Emerson
- "How to Be A Rock Critic" review Boston "Ryans Smashing Life", Arts Emerson
- "How to Be A Rock Critic" review LA WEEKLY
- "How to Be a Rock Critic" review LA TIMES
- Blank and Jensen's "Aftermath" review BOSTON GLOBE
- "Aftermath" review NY TIMES
- "The Exonerated" review NY TIMES
- NY Times Review of "Disgraced" at Lincoln Center
- "The Reconcilers" Graphic novel official website
- Interview with Jensen regarding his graphic novel projects