Erik Johannessen (musician)
22 July 1975 |
|Website||Erik Johannessen on Myspace|
Erik Johannessen (born 22 July 1975 in Oslo) is a Norwegian musician (trombone) and composer, known from playing in bands like Jaga Jazzist, Trondheim Jazz Orchestra, Loud Jazz Band, Lord Kelvin, Funky Hot Grits, Ensemble Denada and Magic Pocket.
Johannessen grew up at Lambertseter and is educated at the Jazz program Trondheim Musikkonservatorium and the University of Oslo. He mainly plays jazz and pop music and works with music in many context. He has also toured extensively around moust of Europe and the rest of the world with Jaga Jazzist and Ensemble Denada, in all over Poland with Loud Jazz Band and Norway with various other bands. He has played with Joshua Redman and Trondheim Jazzorkester, Eirik Hegdal, Terje Rypdal, Jon Balke, Erlend Skomsvoll, Maria Kannegaard, and his own band, Magic Pocket. He has also released albums with Lord Kelvin and Magic Pocket. He got the "Sparebank1 Midtnorges JazZtipendiat" 2009/10 with Magic Pocket and was awarded Spellemannprisen 2010 in open class, for the album One-Armed Bandit with Jaga Jazzist.
He has Conducted, arranged and Composed for various big bands like Kjellerbandet, "Midtnorsk Ungdomstorband", "Follo Big Band", "Orkdal Storband", "Kristiansund Storband", "Vollen Big Band", "Travelin' Storband" and "Sintefstorbandet", and has also contributed with his trombone to Dum Dum Boys, Maria Mena, Martin Hagfors, Jens Carelius and other projects.
Johannessen's first solo album Inkblots (2012) is a beautiful set of short compositions, with noisy sounds, hard swing, free improvissations. He is accompanied by the tight rhythm section of bassist Jon Rune Power, from the Frode Gjerstad Trio, and young Magic Pocket drummer Erik Nylander.
- Solo projects
- With "Svigermors Drøm"
- Fri (1993)
- I Fyr og Flammer (1994)
- With the Loud Jazz Band
- Don't Stop the Train (2004)
- The Way To Salina (2005)
- Passing (2007)
- Living Windows (2008)
- The Silence (2010)
- With Dum Dum Boys
- Gravitasjon (2006)
- Live in Oslo (2007)
- Wood and Water (2008)
- Triads And More (2010), with Eirik Hegdal & Joshua Redman
- Kinetic Music (2011), with Magic Pocket
- With Thom Hell
- God If I Saw Her Now (2008)
- All Good Things (2010)
- With Lord Kelvin
- Dances in the Smoke (2008)
- Radio Has No Future (2011)
- With Martin Hagfors
- Men and Flies (2009)
- I LIke You (2011)
- With Jaga Jazzist
- One-Armed Bandit (2010)
- With Susanne Sundfør
- The Brothel (2010)
- With Raga Rockers
- Shit Happens (2010)
- With Jonas Alaska
- Jonas Alaska (2011)
- Katabatic Wind (2011)
- With others
- Devil's Ride (2002), with "Tremolo Wankers"
- Turn on the Lights (2003), with "Jumpin'Jerry"
- Lorenzo is Dead (2003), with "Lorenzo"
- Drops of Hope (2003), with "Seljemark"
- q.s. (2004), with "Acoustic Accident"
- Mingus Schmingus (2004), with "Kjellerbandet"
- Troll (2005), with "Lumsk"
- A Few Words (2006), with "Hasselgård"
- Sildsalat (2006), with "Sintefstorbandet"
- The Cheaters (2007), with The Cheaters
- Chronicles (2007), with John Heitman & Marc Gregory
- The Path of Love (2008), with Terje Nordgarden
- Cause And Effect (2008), with Maria Mena
- The Plum Album (2008), with Haakon Ellingsen
- Finding Nymo (2009), with Helge Sunde & Ensemble Denada
- Night Blooms (2009), with "The Opium Cartel"
- It's Cold Tonight (2009), with Dan Kristofferson
- Real Life Is No Cool (2010), with Lindstrøm & Christabelle
- Det Nærmeste Du Kommer (2011), with John Olav Nilsen & Gjengen
- Migrant (2011), with "The Captain & Me"
- The Architect (2011), with Jens Carelius
- When Nobody's Around (2011), with Synne Sanden
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Erik Johannessen (musician).|